Saturday, September 05, 2009

Just Hopeless

I usually don't read this guy anymore. He's so far gone on the crazytrain that it's just not worth engaging him. He's the kind of person that will insist your facts are wrong and he is right even if the evidence that the opposite were true was biting him in the face. The kind of troll that insists conservative protesters are always civil and one nutty lefty protester is entirely typical of "the entire violent left."

But I'm posting this one as an object lesson in the mindset of the fringe righters. I think it's entirely possible he's making this up. He comes up with these fantastic stories every day. Last week it was his parents who paid $200,000 worth of medical bills with family help and local fundraisers. Even if it is true, the point is, they measure everything strictly within their limited life experience. If they're not having a problem, then no one else should need help.

Libby, sorry to hear that you are sick. I suggest you tell the hospital administrators (most doctors do not concern themselves with payment options) that while you do not have insurance you fully intend to pay cash. Next, for any drugs prescribed to you check who the manufacturer is and contact them to see if they will donate the drugs to you if it is expensive. Then, make payment arrangements with the hospital. You will also want to go to your church and other charities and see if they have funds available to help you out. You can also throw a fund raiser. This can be a powerfull tool. A little 7 year old girl in my neighborhood had severe nerve damage when she was born resulting in paralyzation of her upper left torso. The doctor pulled her out of the birth canal by her left arm seperating the nerve bundle going down her arm from her spinal cord. They lost the malpractice lawsuit and have no insurance. They throw a fundraiser every year to pay for the massive bills they have as she has had numerous (about 2 a year) operations to give her the use of her left arm and lung and she faces many more. They generate over $100k a year in donations. Her bills get paid for WITHOUT using the government to threaten force against 300 million strangers.

This can be a teachable moment for you Libby, don't waste it by thinking anyone else is responsible for your personal problems, we aren't.

Con Pat, Clinton Township, Mi
I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn he was a loud complainer about the politicalization of Teddy's death. I'd also note that not all my critics are so mean spirited. The other critics and the one supporter who mentioned my post, managed to simply wish me well without dragging our politics into it.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

14 Comments:

Blogger (O)CT(O)PUS said...

Libby, don't let the wingers demoralize you. Hang in there. Fight back!

3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

why on earth would us U.S. citizens who worked our entire lives giving it up for the country want to actually get what the rest of the industrialized world gets from its gov'ts which are the sum total of the citizenry? any hints?

4:40:00 PM  
Anonymous racymind said...

Hey! Screw that guy...

From someone who has had a rough year dealing with bad health, but is now feeling much better, I wish you my very best.

5:01:00 PM  
Blogger Dirk Gently said...

The thing is, when one is already fighting for health - or maybe life - fundraising is an incredible burden. And not everyone has the resources and wherewithal to pull it off. And it's just like the "waiting in line because there aren't enough doctors" argument - if everyone were to get healthcare, I might have to wait in line and I'd rather see some people go without than do that. If everyone who needed help managed to hit up their church (if they have one), family (if they have a wealthy one) and every other charitable organization, those would become overburdened as well. OTOH, if you distribute those costs over the 300 million, the financial pain is much less.

People can be so selfish, short-sighted, and mean.

6:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Larkspur said...

"Libby, sorry to hear you are sick. Here is a list of heroic tasks you will complete if you're serious about getting well. If you'd planned better, you could have accomplished these tasks before you started feeling poorly, but that's liberals for you...blah blah blah."

Dirk Gently, you are right. This is just mean. I don't think people like him would have lasted six months after disembarking from the Mayflower. They'd have kicked his glibertarian ass out into the forest for refusing to cooperate and help out and be righteous and charitable and shit.

Turn off his mike, Libby.

7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Like I said, I think the guy made it up. Should ask him for the name of this little girl so I can pitch for donations for her. Willing to bet money he wouldn't give it to me. Probably would say the family wants its privacy but really because she doesn't exist. But I don't want to answer him because it just encourages him to post more.

This morning he said the amendment abolishing slavery was bad because it caused the civil war and the civil rights battles of the 60s. He's just crazy. I don't take him seriously.

10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'm leaving the above in place to point out that if you see Capt. Fogg in black, it's not me. It's a psychotic, antisocial and frankly stupid troll from Detroit who has found a way to post idiotic things under my name.

The Real Fogg will appear in blue as you see above.

11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Kevin McKague said...

This morning he said the amendment abolishing slavery was bad because it caused the civil war...

Really? Did anybody point out to him that the 13th amendment was passed in 1865?

11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Kevin said...

I just read the twit's comment, and in fairness, I don't think he meant to say that the 13th amendment caused the Civil War. I think he is trying to say that the implicit acceptence of slavery in the original document caused the Civil War, not the amendment outlawing it.

Of course, the mistake is easy to make given the way it was written. He started talking about abolishing alcohol in the prohibition amendment, then jumps to slavery, leaving the reader to assume that he was still talking about banning activity through amendments.

Given his poor writing skills and lunatic history, it is an easy mistake to make.

11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Pointing that out to him would be like pointing out to Charles Manson that he's nuts. It's futile and the only solution is deletion.

11:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Kevin McKague said...

Fogg, I agree completely, which is why I no longer visit newspaper forums comment sections. I check in periodically to see what Libby is saying, but that's usually it. Newspaper forums are often dominated by the likes of "Con Pat", who scare or bore away anybody (left or right) with anything constructive to add to the conversation. Newspapers would serve themselves well to encourage more repeat visitors by discouraging the trolls like Con Pat.

11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Sorry Fogg. I deleted the idiot troll who namestole you. I won't allow that here.

12:14:00 PM  
Blogger jurassicpork said...

Spoken like a true conservative.

Libby, despite the cross pollination, we've never "met" in the blogosphere somehow. But I'm speaking as someone who's had to ask for help from time to time when it looked as if eviction was very much in my immediate future. Fortunately, I have good, kind and generous readers who have saved my worthless butt more than once or twice or thrice.

Yet occasionally I get the comment from a troll taking me to task for having the temerity to ask for Paypal donations when I really needed to ask. According to this asshat, I'm supposed to just stay silent and allow myself to get evicted and not to appeal for help from those whom i know would give it to me if I but ask. I was asked for years to put up a Paypal button and I resisted. Now I realize that sometimes it's a lifesaver.

There's nothing wrong with begging or asking for contributions if you know you have nowhere else to turn. It's very tough out there and you and I and many others are living proof of that. What distinguishes us liberals from the Others is that we understand the beauty and importance of community. Wingnuts are quite happy to live in their Randian nightmare of fuck everyone but me and my own. I am not.

When I have the extra swag, I kick in to certain blogs (I won;t say which but you'd know them). When I can't, I take their names and tell them to wait in line when the sun shines on me again.

And I just don't have the money at this moment. I just drained my Paypal account to help keep my checking from going into the red but at least I still have unemployment and my fiancee's working (just 3 weeks after coming up from Vero Beach). But I'm asking you to send me a tickler email to remind me in case I get sidetracked. It may gall you to directly ask me for money but you're openly asking for our help, anyway. And I'm asking that you stay in touch with me and remind me if necessary.

1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey jurassic, thanks for the kind words of support and happy to hear you're doing okay yourself. And so happy your love story turned out so well.

I understand about not being able to help. I felt bad when you were in need and I couldn't kick in. I've been out of work for a very long time. Not to worry about contributing. I'm sure there are people out there in greater need than me. I'll be alright for now.

Thanks for all you do. I'm so glad you came back to blogging. I was very sad when you took the first hiatus. It's a comfort to me to know you're on our side, even if I don't get around very often to tell you so.

2:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home