Saturday, September 05, 2009

Dear Friends

I'll be sending private thank you notes but just wanted to let you know your kindness and generousity made me weep this morning. And all the good thoughts helped.

Happy to report I talked them out of admitting me and got them to treat me in the ER. Spent 7 hours there with IV saline drip and more tests and I'm feeling much better. I have orders to drink less water and eat more salt. Ironically I was doing the opposite for my health.

The worst part is I'm supposed to drink gatorade. I don't like gatorade. There's only one flavor I can stand, but fortunately the store had it and it was on sale.

Meanwhile the shoulder is still untreated. Couldn't get the ER people interested in it either but the consensus seems to be it's probably bursitis which can't really be fixed with anything but time and meds. Finally broke down and did a google search on it last night -- always a risk for a hypochondriac like me -- but it was okay. It rarely requires surgery and I've been doing pretty much what needs to be done. Apparently it just takes a long time to heal.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Libby, what good news!

Now, as to the Gatorade: it could have been worse, your doc could have insisted on Pedia-lite, the foulest concoction on the planet.

Rest up, cheer up, and keep on keeping on. Your voice is essential.

11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Diane. Am feeling much more hopeful today. And it's true, there are worse things than Gatorade. I should be counting my blessings. Sometimes forget there are many people far worse off than me in this country.

2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Tell Gatorade you have addvertized it on your blog, you may be getting cases f it - okay, too many wordplays by far.

So glad you're getting thru this.

4:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Larkspur said...

Do not forget: it is perfectly okay to bemoan one's own situation at the exact same time as you are counting your blessings.

I mean, I am glad your shoulder pain is not the result of being hacked by a machete, and not only can you not get medicine, but there isn't any food or water, either. That's happening to somebody, and it shouldn't be, and we should help. But nevertheless, your shoulder pain is still real, and you need care. I am thankful that your circumstances are just difficult rather than horrific, because, well, duh.

I guess so much of the "count your blessings" stuff is a front for "so shut up and stop crying, or I'll give you something to really cry about", but that could just be my upbringing.

7:17:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks larkspur. I know complaining doesn't help fix anything but it does release some of the tension. It's comforting to see you around again. Haven't seen you in ages.

2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Tuli said...

Dear Libby:

This is going to sound crazy, but then it worked for me when I had repetitive stress in my shoulder and I couldn’t take any of the opiates to sooth the pain. All I could do was cry and not sleep, sit or lay my body down. I used magnets just like golfers and tennis players do and “Lord Almighty” it actually worked and without any of the side effects of the chemicals which didn’t actually work. So, if you can, slap on some magnets and see if you get some relief. You have nothing to lose!

Take care and get some relief.

Tuli

tulitalks.blogspot.com

6:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home