Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Some Get It Right, Some Don't

I'm usually not one to read or listen to Lou Dobbs of CNN but this post about Va. Tech is first class. I feel he gets it just about right. He points out that there are lots of students dying on our campuses each year and that deserves our attention.
We all seem unable to assimilate the fact that thousands of college students are dying violently each year. About 1,100 students each and every year will commit suicide, according to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and four of every five young people who attempt suicide exhibit clear warning signs.

The education system is obviously not working, nor are the safety nets in place to help severely troubled young people.
As we grieve for those murdered and wounded in Blacksburg, I hope we can all agree that it is important to address the larger scope of violence on our college campuses and deal with the underlying causes.

Way to go Lou, I now think you're just a partial asshole, not a total one.

Now, let's talk about a perfect asshole, Michelle Malkin. At birth there was just this asshole, and Michelle kind of grew around it.

Michelle's solution to the Va. Tech massacre is for all the students to carry guns. Then they could protect themselves. The reason they don't is the coddling they get by the liberal values system in place at all of our universities. They don't learn good conservative values such as taking up for themselves and how to shoot a Glock.
Instead of teaching students to defend their beliefs, American educators shield them from vigorous intellectual debate. Instead of encouraging autonomy, our
higher institutions of learning stoke passivity and conflict avoidance.

So what is she saying here, that the students aren't learning to debate? That everyone at Va. Tech is a liberal? At Blacksburg, VA? Most of the Southern boys at this school were given their first .22 rifles when they were ten years old. They know how to shoot, they just can't imagine having to shoot someone. They shouldn't be thinking about it, either.

These kids are going to school to accomplish something. They have dreams and goals and hopes. Their parents are sacrificing and mortgaging their present to give their kids a future. Malkin wants them to think about quick draws or whether they should go for a head shot or a double-tap to the center of body mass. She goes on and on:
Is it too early to ask: What if just one student in one of those classrooms had been in lawful possession of a concealed weapon for the purpose of self defense

Just imagine being eighteen or even twenty-two years old going to college and knowing that half of the people around you are carrying guns. Do you feel safe or afraid. You should be afraid.

It is ludicrous to think that any teenager would be carrying a pistol, it's pathetic that anyone would encourage it.

No Michelle, it's not too early to ask what if, it's too stupid. It's obvious that this darling of the right-wing media is a very stupid person.

Jim M

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, gun toting college students is a brilliant idea. Just a few short months ago, a bunch of college students were at a bar getting drunk and some had concealed weapons. When the inevitable fights broke out, the cops were called and a good cop was shot dead in the parking lot by.... an armed college student. This happened not in New York, Chicago or Atlanta, big cities where violence is prevelant, but in Winston Salem, NC, a medim sized college town. Gee, does she have any more bright ideas?

11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's so liberal about a college if they don't allow to carry a concealed weapon?

Kevin Costner points out this in one of his appearances on the Real time with Bill Maher.

Some issues are very reversed, indicating that moral or political affiliation (dem/rep, cons/lib) is not driven by more or less consistent standards.

How liberal of some conservatives who don't support gun control (or to support such "liberal" spending of public funds to siphon money to THE industry).

And how conservative of liberals to "infringe" on other people's right to own a firearm.

1:27:00 AM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Since the shootings I've been sick because I'm seeing some very bad times ahead. The murders reopened a gaping wound that I think our scumbag fascists are going to use to divide us more and more.

I'm as liberal and progressive and anti authoritarian as it gets and I'm also an avid gun owner. To me it's pretty obvious that it doesn't matter what emanates from lying BushCo pieholes, the fascist agenda is to disarm americans. Call me a kook conspiracy nut, but a lot of the shooting events are planned to facilitate anti gun sentiment. Because it works, plus the issue is used as a divide and conquer strategy. I get sick when I see my compatriots in the good fight take an anti gun stance.

A gentle disagreement with you, Jim. I don't think one should be afraid when others carry. Because screeching morons like Malkin obsess about firearms, please don't think that all gun toters do.
I've carried for 20 years, and one time it probably saved my life. The rest of the time I don't even think about it. It truly doesn't even cross my mind and it doesn't affects my dealings with people in the slightest. Please believe me - people who take the time and energy and responsibility for doing so don't obsess about it.

There was one other school shooting in Virginia that seems to have been forgotten. In that one two armed students prevented a shooter from taking more lives, a fact that was omitted from the MSM.

3:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Nolo
I don't care if people carry around me now, I know some that do, but I was trying to remember when I was in college. I know some people that scared me if I knew they had a rock. I just don't see teenagers with all that's going on with them carrying guns. The emotions are pretty strong and right on the surface.
I see both sides, I just don't see carrying by youngsters as working.
Thanks to all for the comments.

5:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nolo - I also carry weaons when necessary, but I still don't think it's a good idea for college students to be carrying weapons. The lack of maturity and self discipline in many (not all) would create an environment ripe for disaster like what happened in Winston Salem (see my previous comment above). Now,I definitely would support the idea of faculty carrying on campus. I can't help but think that if Professor Librescu had been carrying a weapon, he would have probably used it to stop Cho. But, then again, after all he had been through in his life, perhaps he was opposed to having a weapon. It should remain as always a personal choice. You are right about one thing; every time someone uses a gun to commit a crime the cry goes up for gun control! My question has always been: With all the illegal weapons in this country, what good will any more gun laws do? What crime is going to be prevented?

12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Rocky
I own several handguns and none of them were bought from a dealer. They could never be traced.
There are millions of guns out there just like mine.
More gun laws, nope, more help for the disturbed, you betcha.
All the signs were there with this murderer and all the alarm bells rang, but it made no difference. No law would have stopped this monster.

4:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home