Monday, April 16, 2007

Oh! The Humanity!

I think I have to touch on the Va. Tech catastrophe. Living so close to Blacksburg and having such close ties there, it is almost beyond belief.
My wife is particularly hard hit. It is very much her family's college. Her father, grandfather, great-grandfather, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces have gone or are going there. It has been a real mess and she is still crying.

You try to wonder why something like this happens and you can only take solace in the fact that there are some things that are beyond explanation and cannot be fathomed using rational thought.

I grieve tonight for all of those poor children, yes when you reach my age they are certainly children, and their families. I grieve for my state and for the university that I hold so dear.

I long for yesterday.

Jim M
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being close by, just over the border in NC, I know bucolic Blacksburg and I am so shocked and saddened by this tragedy. I've been watching the news most of the afternoon as the death toll kept rising, realizing most of them would be college students. My heart grieves for all the families and friends and survivors as they try to make sense of this massacre.

8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel DiRito said...

A Symptom of our "Chain Letter Society"?

Read an analysis of the influences in our "Chain Letter Society" that may be precipitating events like the tragedy at Virginia Tech and how our focus on winning and being number one may be fostering a generation of children with fully inadequate coping skills who have a misguided sense of self-worth...here:

www.thoughttheater.com

8:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Thanks for your comments and daniel for the link. I will read it in detail.

8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm just hearing about this. I was working all day and there's a huge power outage here.

How bloody awful.

9:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home