Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Somalia - Something's happening here

What it is ain't exactly clear. Maybe we launched one air strike, many we launched more. Maybe we killed a top al Qaeda operative. Or maybe we didn't.

Rumor has it that new Pentagon head honcho Gates will fire the general in charge of the operation, Lt. Gen. William Boykin but not because he's unhappy with the airstrike, but because -- well -- that's not clear either. But what is clear is that Boykin, a Bible thumping evangelical Christian, has been a loose cannon prone to make inopportune remarks about "his God" and has also been angling to usurp the CIA's role in intelligence gathering.

Meanwhile, Scarecrow at Firedog Lake wants to know how this will all end? That's also not clear, but I'd be willing to venture a guess that nothing much will change in terms of our chaotic foreign policy until about January 2009.
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we've been knee deep in somalia at my erstwhile home base shiachat. too much to say. Alot of innocents killed. anger towards US spread. good guys routed out, bad guys put in

5:50:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have a friend from Somalia and I've heard some really ugly stories Lester. I know what you mean. Too much to say...

7:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my feeling lately is that islamism is dead. it's simply too dangerous to call yourself the islamic republic of whatever bcause of the US and because of the regimes that are associated with islam. I do't think it's right that the islamic courts in somalia were run out, they were by and large good guys, but I think there was no hope for them.

12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't have a vast knowledge of the country's politics Lester. My knowledge is mainly anecdotal from my friend. I can't really speak to the overall situation which I don't blog about it much.

2:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home