Monday, December 11, 2006

Bad news for carnivores

This is interesting. All this time we've been blaming motor vehicles and industry pollution for climate disruption when along comes a UN study saying it's farting cows and their heaping mountains of ammonia producing cowshit that's really responsible for this mess. Not to mention the other residual effects from producing their feed to clearing the land for grazing.

Of course, this isn't exactly news. Vegetarians have been telling me this for years. I guess the bright side is, now instead of giving up your car, you can give up a couple of cheeseburgers and feel like you've done something to help ease global warming.
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've given up the car, but...goddamnit...I won't give up beef! ;-)

A good friend of mine once responded to another friend (a militant vegitarian), "I didn't claw my way up the food chain just to eat vegitables!"

4:10:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Kvatch. Great line. My second husband was a vegetarian so I became one because he did all the cooking but I was never commited to it on moral grounds myself. I figured if the Spirit didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have given us the means to chew and digest it. I'm a carnivore again myself, although I don't eat that much beef anyway. I get freaked out by the mad cow thing.

4:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cattle industry also contributes to global warming by its reliance on feed corn - the planting, growth, harvesting and transport of which utilizes LOADS of fossil fuels.

I seem to remember some US gov't report that showed the distribution of fossil fuel use. Transportation was the biggest category, with agriculture and energy farther down. But hey, that was the government, and who knows how reliable they are?

Seriously, though. Human activity has been contributing to global warming since the day we planted our first grains and domesticated our first cud-chewing friends.

ps. An ex-boyfriend forced me to be a vegetarian. Well, forced may not be quite right, but he threatened me and I was too pathetic to say, "f-off you domineering prick!" So. Yeah. I'm an omnivore again. Everything in moderation, kids. That's all it takes.

9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I was thinking the same thing about human activity. It can't help but have an effect on the environment. But I also think as technology progressed, our impact has been greater.

But as you say, Moderation is truly the key Bronwyn.

4:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home