Sunday, December 04, 2005

We've come a long way baby - not

This is just disgraceful. A woman in Beaverton, Oregon was gang raped and reported it to the authorities. The prosecutor didn't think he could make the case against the rapists and so turned around and prosecuted the victim for filing a false report even though she never recanted and they couldn't disprove her charges either.

Shakes Sis has already collected the links and said all that can be said about this travesty.

All I can add is we fool ourselves if we believe we live in a civilized society when a victim of sexual assault is treated like a criminal for reporting a crime. It seems to me this is just another symptom of our current political climate in which women's rights are being denigrated and diminished by the so called "religious right." What's next? Shall we revert to classifying women as chattel again?
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger No Blood for Hubris said...

If you can't prove your rape case beyond a reasonable doubt, missy, just shut up about it.

More Talibanization of Amurrica.

9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Shakes Sis has already collected the links and said all that can be said about this travesty."

It appears that there is still more that can and should be said about all this, I fear.

Please know, I'm not defending rapists, nor an I condemning the victim here. I just stumbled on Pre-emptive Karma's post. I've already read what Majikthise, Pandagon and others (including you) had to say. It surprised me to find what PK had to say, and I thought you might be interested.

5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home