Wednesday, April 08, 2009

From tiny ACORNs, mighty myths grow

Adam Serwer does some sleuthing on the latest wingnut conspiracy theory that seeks to explain why their teabagging efforts are falling so short of expectations. The latest meme is that ACORN is sending in their secret agents to disrupt the festivities and sow distrust in the "normal peeples" who show up at these rallies wearing teabags on their head.
So I was interested in finding out where the rumor started. It turns out, it started on somewhere on the Internet. I don't mean that someone reported ACORN activists showing up at a tea party and wrote about it on their blog, or that some local newspaper published a story to that effect, I literally mean it started on the Internet. Michelle Malkin linked to this post on a conservative blog, which linked to this post on an online tea party Internet forum. Meanwhile, Malkin has been twittering about this for days, hyping the ACORN/Kos/Obama conspiracy axis. All because someone wrote something on the Internet. I believe this policy can be explained as "trust, but don't verify."
The creation of wingnut myths based on unsourced rumor is so ordinary, I wouldn't bother to even this except that Steve M catches Cavuto at Fox repeating the rumor, specifically naming ACORN. Further, the events are being promoted heavily on Fox *News*, with four of their leading lights scheduled to headline rallies.

I can't begin to imagine the uproar about bias if Olbermann was sent out to "celebrate war protests with MSNBC." Which raises the question, how much longer should Fox be allowed to call itself a *news* station. Surely we have consumer laws to prevent false advertising. [graphic]

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
They're news, Libby. Whenever something real happens, it's news to them.



How 'bout some Scary News? Instead, like?
.

1:16:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Oh my Cosa. That's quite a collection.

9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Gotta love those myths. I caught Dan Froomkin, fellow WaPo contributor, ragging Michael Gerson for lying. Must really be galling for some one who keeps pulling the mask off of the liars to have one of them hired as his cowriter. ick.
(Blogged it yesterday p.m.)

2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I love Froomkin. I'll have to go check out the post. I'm behind on cruising the blogroll -- again.

3:26:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I was tending bar at my club a couple of weeks ago and some gentleman mentioned that ACORN had won the election for Obama.

Trust me, you don't want me to be mixing your drink when you're spouting stuff like that. I dare say no more. . .

12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

My imagination runs wild.

9:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home