Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Break up the banksters - Update

Today's point and click activism is a ten second sign on to this letter:
Pledge to Break Up the Banks

Tell Obama and Congress: "If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist. Dismantle the power of the financial elite and make policies that keep a new crop from springing up. We want our economy and politics restored for the public." Do something: sign onto the demand and we'll bring this message to Congress on April 11.
You can sign it here. I'd note it only seems to work in Firefox. It doesn't bring up the submit button in Internet Explorer.

Update: There are going to be related protest rallies to ask for the break up of the "too big to fail" banks on April 11 as well and no this has nothing to do with the silly teabagger protests. Jane has the details.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous sandbun said...

"no this has nothing to do with the silly teabagger protests."

Why would you say this Libby? Seriously? Political activism is a good thing, no matter what you think of the people or reason for it. Why would you ever discourage or make fun of those participating in it? Even if the purpose is absolutely stupid, like pro drug prohibition, people being angry and telling their elected officials how they feel is something that should always be encouraged. And this is over something, the bailouts, that you yourself have expressed displeasure with how they were handled. Why would you make sure to point out the difference between your good activism efforts and other's silly little ones? I mean, talk about liberal elitism. I have to wonder if the only reason you mock theirs is because their group is one that is largely anti-Obama.

11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Sandbun if you read my previous posts on the subject, I've been very clear that I support their right to protest and am glad to see them engaged. However, they make themselves look silly by failing to define their purpose. The whole point of activism is to seek a specific change and they don't seem to have any specific complaints or any constructive suggestions for remedies.

I don't do much mockery. I'm not good at it and it's not in my nature. But I have to tell you every time I see a crazy looking old lady with tea bags hanging off her head, I can't help but remember how many times I saw cruel mockery about the physical appearance of anti-war protestors who looked much less garish coming from the right and I'm happy to see that the even the lefties that do all snark don't take those kind of cheap shots. So spare me the lecture on being mean, would you?

3:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home