Saturday, February 07, 2009

Nowadays Clancy can't even sing

Song in my head, via Avedon who gives me the sad news that "Dewey Martin, drummer for the groundbreaking but notoriously feuding and short-lived rock pioneers Buffalo Springfield, was found dead February 1 in Van Nuys, Calif. He was 68." Rest in peace.

It was so nice here I spent the afternoon outdoors today and then had unexpected company so I have a lot of links I didn't get to.

President Obama has been very busy. The WH blog has this on the Senate compromise. He's back to placating the GOP after taking some serious shots to their obstructionism earlier this week. More concerning is this, also from the blog, "Beyond the Echo Chamber. Obama is pulling together some kind of advisory committee on the stimulus. FDL has the rundown on the membership. All conservatives and industry insiders. No liberals who were right about everything going forward. Not much hope here for me.

And what did we get as a result of all this fine bipartisanship? Politico has the list with dollar amounts of the GOP's cuts to the stimulus bill. Deep cuts to the most beneficial spending, most of it targeting the working poor of course, in trade for a couple of Senate votes. If there's a strategy here, I don't see it yet.

GWPDA speaks for me. "I want Roosevelt's regulations (Teddy AND Franklin's); I want Eisenhower's tax rates and the infrastructure (physical, monetary and educational) that was created from 1949-1972. I want this back."

One bright spot though. "More than 100,000 acres of Utah wilderness will be protected from oil and gas drilling after the Department of Interior announced today that it will cancel 77 leases issued under the Bush administration."

And Obama kicked butt at the Dem Party Conference.

This was amusing. The GOP begs for help from hate talk radio. I had no idea there were so many popular hate jockeys.

Via SoBeale, Does your congressman tweet?

This is really old but I just unearthed from old unread emails. I went to school with Gabe Rotello's brother. Gabe is now some kind of hot shot in LA and he's got a blog at HuffPo. He did this tribute for Obama, Inauguration Cakewalk that's rather nice.

A great LOL Putin and thanks to HBK, the best LOL cat ever.

The Coma galaxy via Pearl, NTodd's kitty.

And lastly, Buddhist Temples of Hawaii. Very cool.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home