Friday, January 02, 2009

The terrorists have won

The greatest weapon a terrorist has isn't a bomb, it's fear. If we allow ourselves to diminish our humanity and toss our common sense out of fear of terrorism, then they've won without lifting a finger. This latest bit of security theater is a prime example.
Officials ordered nine Muslim passengers, including three young children, off an AirTran flight headed to Orlando from Reagan National Airport yesterday afternoon after two other passengers overheard what they thought was a suspicious remark.
And what was this highly suspicious remark? They were speculating about which seat on a plane is safest, one assumes in the event of a crash. This is a conversation I've had myself with fellow passengers at some point in the course of many years of plane travel. There are certain sections of an aircraft that are marginally safer.

By the way, these "Muslims" are American citizens. Somehow I think if it was a group of white Christians on their way to a revival meeting, this would never have been an issue.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Of course they were not put on the next plane and were banned from that airline even after the FBI affirmed that they were safe.

AirTran, the airline that used to be called ValueJet and changed their name after they killed a planeload of people. America is so proud.

11:15:00 AM  
Blogger creature said...

I hope they sue, sue, and then sue some more.

12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I didn't know AirTran was Valuejet. I'm sorry to hear that. Back when I was conducting a long distance relationship I used to practically live on that airline. I knew all the crews on a first name basis. The whole situation stinks but it's especially egregious that they wouldn't seat them on the next flight.

Creature, I'm with you. I would sue the effers. I hope they do too.

2:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sadder element of all this is how the universal response from what I am now officially calling the "talk-show" conservatives (to distinguish them from principled conservatives) is nothing but a celebratory "good for AirTran! See how the jihadis are whining....Hahaha!!!!" Of course, the fact that the family was quickly cleared by the FBI, for whom the family offered nothing but praise, seems to have escaped them.

4:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The airlines wonder why people don't want to fly anymore.

Who needs the hassle?

And I hope they sue.

Terry C

4:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's corporate governance for you. I'm sure the airline's counsel would have told them in a heartbeat, "Give them anything they want. ANYTHING. Bounce other passengers if you have to. Put them up in a hotel. Give them vouchers. WHATEVER."

Far cheaper than being sued, even if they settle out of court. And the ACLU is no doubt leaving voicemail for the victims as we speak.

4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Mark, talk show conservatives. I like it. Perfect.

I'm with you Terry. I hope they sue.

Theodoric, I'm sure you're right about what counsel would have said, but AirTran has already issued a disclaimer saying they HAD to do under DHS rules. Bad PR no matter what.

10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home