Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The book larnin' president

I couldn't bring myself to read Rove's column announcing Bush is really a closet braniac because he's such a prodigious reader but I choked down Richard Cohen's column to find out what he read. Hundreds of books they claim. It's probably true. It's not like he spent a lot of time socializing.

All I can say is I don't find the mere fact that he had an ongoing contest with Karl over who could read the most books all that compelling a case for Bush's intellect. I might best sum up my reaction by saying, you can lead a man to a book, but you can't make him absorb the content, or take any lessons from it.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, he's so well-read that in January of 2003, he had no idea about that whole Sunni, Shia and Kurd thing in Iraq. I believe it was in "The One Per Cent Doctrine" that this came from. Several sources from a meeting with Bush said that he was unaware of their existence in Iraq, and the rift between them.

It makes his intellectual curiousity a bit hard to swallow.

6:43:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

My point exactly DL. Just because he can read words doesn't make him a deep thinker and every thing we've seen over the last eight years has demonstrated he is not. And we already knew that good ole boy Texas thing was a facade. That makes him more dishonest, not smarter.

9:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home