Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Where the boys (or girls) are

By Libby

After several failed serious relationships, I've pretty much given up on ever finding a compatible life partner. Most of the single men my age are looking for a lovely young wife it seems and the young guys who are interested in older women are looking for a hot time, not a relationship. Besides I've done the younger man thing. It was fun on some level but I found it too odd to be dating a guy who didn't have a clue about my cultural references because he wasn't born yet when they happened. And not to diss men my own age either. I know lots of really good men who care about more than just some arm candy to impress their friends, but as they say -- all the good ones have been taken.

Nonetheless, this map tracking where the largest concentrations of singles are across the country is interesting and may be of value for young folks who haven't found Mr. or Ms. Right just yet. If you're still on the hunt for the perfect match, it would make sense to go where the hunting is good...

As to why there seems to be more single men on the West Coast and more single women on the East, who knows? I'm not sure I buy the argument the author makes but my own theory on why Florida seems to be a hotbed of single men is that this is where the older widowers may be. Just a guess though.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Very strange - more women in the East, more Men in the West. Maybe it's just all the divorced people trying to get as far from their exes as possible? Works for me.

11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Got a map of Europe? More to my liking I think (not that I am looking because I am already attached - although a little spice helps break up the monogamy).

12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I don't know why any woman wouldn't just go out and buy a boat instead of a husband. A boat needs just as much attention and maintenance and if you take your eyes off it, it will stray even faster, but a woman with a boat will have all the male companionship she wants - and then some.

3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL you guys. I like the ex theory Fogg and SC, I hope your wife doesn't read this blog.

5:39:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Hammond said...

Here's a cultural reference for you.

Now to see things clear its hard enough I know

While you're waiting for reality to show

Without dreaming of the perfect love...
And holding it so far above

That if you stumbled onto someone real, youd never know


You could be with somebody who is lonely too (sometimes it doesn't show)

He might be trying to get across to you (words can be so slow)
When your own emptiness is all that's getting through
There comes a point when youre not sure why youre still talking

I passed that point long ago.

The Late Show
Jackson Browne

6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's lovely Paul. Thank you. I haven't thought about Jackson Browne in a long time.

8:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard to find love within the tiny little space that each of us occupy on the earth. But the internet opens a whole new world if your able and willing to try it. I can testify that it works. After a good, to boring, to miserable marriage (mostly my fault) I met Pearl on the internet. Now, nearly 10 years later, she's divorces, I'm divorced, and for the last 4 1/2 years have been living some real happiness with her in Singapore. Big change but worth every bit of it.

10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

You are right, Libby. One shotgun wedding (a matter of wife or death) was enough for me.

5:44:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Lovely story Brian. I love hearing about people who found love later in life.

LOL SC. I REALLY hope your wife doesn't read this blog.

6:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home