Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Music - deja vu

by expatbrian

I got to reminiscing after this post by Libby a few days ago about the music of that time gone by. I've posted a lot of the old music on my blog over the years with very little interest judging by the comments. Still, I never know when to give up. I had a pretty decent record collection back then which included these. I'm sure many of you who are around my age had a few of these, too.



There were several great song writers back then, most notably Bob Dylan, Lennon and McCartney, Elton John and Bernie Taupin and others. There were fewer balladeers. Dylan was the master but another was Cat Stevens. He later converted to Islam and took the name Yusuf. Recently he was denied entry back into the US because of some alleged terrorist ties. Oh well.

I couldn't care less about his politics or his religion. Indeed, music is one of the few things that seems to bring us together instead of keeping us apart. And his voice didn't seem to suffer when he switched. Here he is at a concert in Italy singing one of his old, nice songs.

Cat Stevens - The Wind (Live At Naples; JAN 07)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well I'm interested in these posts. What I miss even more than the music almost, is the album covers. They were really works of art. CD covers are so small they don't have the same effect.

7:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with that. You could recognize some albums from afar just by the cover. I was especially fond of the Moody Blues covers like the one shown and To Our Children's Children's Children. I've also done a post on some of the great old psychedelic concert posters which I may recreate here.

8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Album notes are gone and most of these old records have more collector value in the jacket than in the vinyl. Of course I remember and still have pre-vinyl LP's and 78's and open reel tapes and cassette tapes and would you believe it - wax Edison cylinders. No information on their cardboard tubes other than the name of the three minute tune.

A friend of mine is the country's biggest collector.

They play Lennon, McCartney, Elton John etc in elevators now, but I don't think you're going to hear All along the watchtower anytime soon.

I don't forgive Stevens for calling for the murder of Salmon Rushdie though. That's enough of a terrorist connection for me.

11:08:00 AM  
Blogger rockync said...

I always liked Cat Steven's music. That is a nice song.

6:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home