Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Media Bytes - Bits and Pieces Edition

By Libby

Song in my head, posted at the risk of Fogg's ire after his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame post. Not my favorite song in the world in any event, but it seems to fit the theme of this edition and the state of my life this week. I'm on a heavy work rotation with long hours all week long so posting will definitely be scattershot from me.

A lot of these are somewhat aged but worth a click if you missed them for some reason, starting with a mosaic of the 4000 dead soldiers in "honor" of the anniversary of the invasion of Iraq. The picture it makes seemed especially appropriate.

Tom Tommorow sums up the neocons introspectives on Iraq rather well I thought.

On the same theme, here's Recession, The Movie showing rosy predictions vs. reality. An appropriate companion piece, although it's rather old is Happy Rambo.

Then there's Phil Donohue on shut up and sing which may be the antidote to the above.

This is really old but I never got around to blogging it and it didn't get enough attention at the time. Greg Mitchell is promoting his new book and publishes a list of "eighteen things you've already forgotten about the media's flawed coverage of Iraq." My personal favorite:
4) The same day, [after the fall of Baghdad] Joe Scarborough, also on MSNBC, said, "I'm waiting to hear the words 'I was wrong' from some of the world's most elite journalists, politicians, and Hollywood types."
I'm still waiting for Joe Scar to admit he's a hopeless wanker but I don't expect we'll hear that either.

Moving on, with the meltdown in the real estate market, I suppose all homeowners worry about their equity, even if they're not planning to sell. This handy widget at cyberhomes.com tracks the value of your home and allows you to snoop on your friends and neighbor's valuations as well if you're so inclined.

Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about unwanted pets. I just saw a dog sitting on a street corner at very busy intersection this morning that looked like someone had dumped him out and he was waiting to be picked up again. Here's a place where you can save a dog that's been dumped.

On a brighter note, my pals in the Drunk Stuntmen are poised to take off big time. Here's a trailer of some kind that I believe is related to the documentary on the Young at Heart Chorus that they appear in. That's my buddy Steve Sanderson speaking and Freddie is the one sitting down and shaking his head in agreement.

Speaking of musicians, Radley rates Mark Everett and also posts an interesting vid clip of about Everett's dad who discovered the theory of the Parallel World. The dad was mocked while alive for the theory but I've always believed in such things myself. And the other music video is really quite good if you like that kind of spare and angst ridden music, as I do.

Radley also put me onto this fabulous gallery of photos from 1939-1969 and even better the only wild jaguar ever photograhed in the US. One of the highlights of my life was seeing a mother and baby wild jaguar while I was travelling in Costa Rica. I think it's cool they're migrating here.

On the other hand this is not cool and totally pissed me off. I had no idea Jay Leno is such a sick wanker. The response to his crappy interview is really good though.

And finally, intelligence is sexy. My friend Erin would certainly prove that to be true even if it's not immediately apparent in her latest silly YouTube, but I found Hot for Words when I checked out the other videos at the bottom chyron that pops up after the video is over, who makes that claim. She at least proves that bikinis are sexy but Bristle bot by Evilmadscientist Laboratories, certainly proves that intelligence can be fun.

And certainly this group proves women are intelligent. You can vote for your favorite women blogger here. I didn't vote because I liked too many of them and couldn't pick just one.

[I'm sure at least some of these links came, as always, from Avedon]
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

AAAAGGGHHH. If that's music, I'm Beethoven. You'll find a better drummer in half the garages in Festus, Missouri. I'd call it the one note Samba if it were a Samba, but it's just one note.

Cheapjoke Leno will milk a joke for ever and he doesn't seem to care who he annoys - why should he, after all? Monica was the most common word out of his mouth for years. I haven't watched him for a long time.

12:53:00 PM  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

Thanks for the shout.

I love sharing cyberspace with that blondie word chick.

Now then, how about I put on my gayest look and come on over there and cop a feel or two while we watch Leno together?

1:26:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Hey - pleased to meet you. I admire your writing.

4:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I hate to admit it, when I got caught up in the whole British music thing, I bought not one but two DC5 albums. It was just a little later that I sobered up and realized how very terrible they were. So I'm with Fogg on this one. Now Gerry and the Pacemakers....thats a completely different story.

5:57:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

DC5 was not a favorite of mine but the song fit the theme. It's not as easy as it looks to come up with one now that I've started this meme. I actually also did like Gerry and the Pacemakers though.

Erin, I think that's a great idea. We can add our photo to the gallery for that douchebag Leno. I have never liked him and stopped watching the Tonight show when he took over.

5:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home