Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A little local activism

By Libby

I have to read my local newspaper more often. I'm not even going to tell you where I found this link but I like it. Some local activists in my neck of the woods staged a mock draft card burning recently.
About 30 people attended the brief noon rally in the Pit outside the Student Union. Members of UNC-CH Students for a Democratic Society handed out fake draft cards and sarcastically solicited passers-by to sign up for military duty in Iraq.
I had no idea the SDS was making a comeback on college campuses. I have to admit I found their activism evolved into something a little too militant in the 60s for my tastes, but this action reminds me of the way they started out. And this quote is certainly enlightening.

Dahlia Wasfi, whose mother is American and father is Iraqi, began speaking out internationally after visiting occupied Iraq in 2004 and 2006.
"My family in Iraq has been liberated," she said, "liberated from water, food, security and health care."
I'm surprised the newspaper quoted her and the Iraq vet who spoke about shooting at civilians. We don't see enough of that in the regular media. I think I'll put these guys on my daily read list.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm chuckling because every time I see something happening in Chapel Hill, I'm reminded of an ancedote told some years ago about then Senator Jesse Helms. Can't say I've ever agreed much with Jesse's views but you had to admire the guy's spunk and conviction of his beliefs.
On to the ancedote: Back when the state legislature was voting on awarding monies for the development of the North Carolina Zoo, Jesse was said to have quipped, "Why spend all that money on a zoo, just throw up a fence around Chapel Hill."
Glad to see the renewed activism. Perhaps there is hope for this country yet.

7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL. Classic quote. That's so Jesse.

9:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read the Student Body Pres there was murdered today.

Anyway, I am encouraged by this showing and this protest. The students are finally getting involved and we need that. And I'm not sure militant, in the current situation, is a bad thing.

6:08:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I saw that Brian. I think it's unrelated, but it is scary that it happened in such a good neighborhood.

I'm also glad to see students getting involved again. As for militancy, maybe it's called for but I'm a pacifist at heart.

11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home