Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Romney: Those who serve -- me -- serve the country

By Libby

Posting has been non-existent because I'm on the work rotation and I'm beside myself with worry about my Dad, who is seriously ill with an as yet undiagnosed illness. I barely read the news in two days but this item certainly evoked the liquid spewing reflex.
Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Wednesday defended his five sons' decision not to enlist in the military, saying they're showing their support for the country by "helping me get elected."

Since this broke, Romney has released the full transcript in defense, saying he was taken out of context. Steve has it posted at Carpetbagger and I have to agree with him. Even in context, although Mitt didn't use that precise wording, he effectively excused his son's refusal to fight in what Mitt deems to be a noble and necessary war in defense of our national security but saying they were serving the country by driving around in a luxury RV, politicking for his candidacy.

I'm not sure I agree with Steve that the question was inappropriate. While I agree that the candidate's children, grown or otherwise shouldn't be held to account for their parent's view, if they are actively campaigning to make him president in order to uphold that view, then their non-participation in the cause becomes relevant. And Mitt's sons are of age and certainly healthy enough to enlist. Certainly they could be serving that cause much better in the sandpit than at some rubber chicken dinner on the campaign circuit.

In any event it's a major slap in the face to the serving troops to make any comparison of the sort and if any Democrat had said it, the raging wingers would have been all over it.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home