Saturday, July 07, 2007

The yin and yang of birthdays

By Libby

You would have thought there would have been more press coverage of the big event. I found out from Shaun Mullen that yesterday was George W's birthday. I was working so maybe I missed it but you would have thought someone would have done a major puff piece on what kind of cake our Feckless Leader enjoyed or what Laura got him for a present. Heck, I distinctly remember seeing coverage on her birthday. Maybe the press doesn't want to remind us that the Great Decider lives in our midst.

I can relate to Shaun's post though on the karmic implications of Bush and the Dalai Lama sharing the same birthday. What greater disparity can one find than that between a man called His Holiness and our own unholy Christian "warrior?" I'm often bemused by such thoughts when I ponder the meaning of my own life.

You see, I share a birthday with Richard Nixon and while no one has ever referred to me as Her Holiness, there certainly was as wide a gulf between our belief systems. I think it might partly be the universe's system of checks and balances, but more probably just the cosmos' wry sense of humor.

[Thanks to Pamela Leavey for the link.]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela J. Leavey said...

Great post Libby!

6:16:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Pam.

6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both of these men share a July birthdate, but the Dalai Lama was born in the Chinese Year of the Boar/Pig. Bush was born one year earlier in the Dog year. Different traits.

And, of course, one of them had Barbara Bush for a mother....;o)

9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL anon. Good point.

8:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home