Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell Has Died

It has been confirmed that Jerry Falwell has died at the age of 73.

I have mixed feelings about Rev. Falwell as we were about as different politically as two people could be.

You can't grow up in a town the size of Lynchburg and not have an opinion about old Jerry.
He used to come speak at the old Boonsboro High School and in 1966 gave the last baccalaureate sermon the high school ever had. He was as likable as any person you would want to meet, in person, but boy his politics could get under your skin.

I would always see him around town, usually at a restaurant, and he would know me by name, but in the last few years he would recognize me, but not by name. I would remind him and he would beam and mention Boonsboro and how many years it had been. I told him that I knew him before he became Jerry Falwell. He loved that.

I'll probably have more to say on this later, but these were my thoughts when I heard the news.
I disagreed with him, but I respected him and I certainly didn't hate him.

He will be missed, even by those who disagreed with him.

Jim Martin

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home