Monday, May 14, 2007

Historical interest

By Libby

Kevin Drum is right about this. History would be much more relevant and interesting to young people if it was taught backwards.

I remember being bored senseless as a kid in history classes. Absent the context of current events, it was mostly about memorizing dates which I could do the night before exams (and which I promptly forgot a week later), so I basically dozed through classes. Consequently, I didn't develop an interest in the subject until much later in life but I was able to catch up on my knowledge on my own.

Frankly, I think it would be better if we didn't even bother to teach history to young kids if they insist on the archaic cirricula. They would be served better by more art and music classes.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home