Friday, January 09, 2009

Stimulate a supertrain

The conservatives apparently think the stimulus plan goes too far in distancing itself from their preferred methodology of tax cuts and dereg, while the liberals are saying it doesn't go far enough. Krugman thinks it's not ambitious enough to dent the "ouput gap." From what I've seen so far, I think he's right. There appears to be way too much tax cut appeasement for the GOP, I suppose in an effort to have it pass as bi-partisan measure. And a lot of people, including John Judis, whose piece is winning wide praise today, are calling for more direct spending on things like a supertrain.

I have to say that to the extent that I understand these things, investing in a supertrain sounds like a excellent short term fix with long range gains that would serve the country well into the future. I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more of an emphasis on improving mass transit as part of the plan. [graphic via]

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a big fan of mass transit, I enjoyed the piece by Judis. I'm hopeful that my fellow enthusiast, Joe Biden, will seal the deal for high speed trains. Maybe we can get Ford and GM making a product for the 21st century. Apparently, there has been some legislation in favor what Judis proposes.

4:39:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm a big fan of mass transit and getting more enthusiastic about it all the time. And I always loved trains.

4:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home