Friday, January 09, 2009

Pelosi pushes Obama to keep his promise

Never thought I would be praising Nancy Pelosi, but she's raised her stature with me in calling for immediate repeal of the tax cuts for the wealthy.
Pelosi told reporters today that she "couldn't be more clear" in opposing some Obama advisers' wish to wait for the tax cuts on the highest income earners to expire in two years, as they are set to do under current law. "Put me down as clearly as you possibly can as one who wants to have those tax cuts for the wealthiest in America repealed," she said.
This was a promise Obama made repeatedly on the campaign trail and certainly contributed to the public perception that he was going to bring some real change to DC. It's a politically popular postion and his apparent walk back on that promise had been disappointing. I think he'll lose some serious cred with the working class if he doesn't follow through.

My DD has links with expert opinion that support the roll back. Makes sense to me. Meanwhile, I don't know what happened to Pelosi, but this combined with her earlier move to thwart the GOP in their endless quest for obstruction by changing the House rules is impressing me. Hope it lasts.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Amen Sister. My share of the wonderful Bush tax cut amounted to about 3 bucks a week. I would gladly give that back and pay some more for our government to be able to help those in need without adding to my Country's debt load. And if you think about the real beneficiaries of the Bush tax cuts, the super wealthy, they are the ones benefiting most from bailouts of the financial industry. It's another example of the fairness of the graduated tax system. Even in hard times, the wealthiest benefit from our system the most. It's fair they pay more.

11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

You got that right Truth. There's no reason for them not to rescind those cuts right away except for political. I'm sick of this placate the GOP schtick.

12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home