Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ron Paul rocks in Iowa

By Libby
Updated below

The unofficial Iowa results are in after a delay caused by a malfunctioning Diebold machine. Unsurprisingly, Romney came in first with a healthy lead over the surprising 2nd place showing for Huckabee. Brownback came in as a respectable third and McCain is so over. He came in dead last. Undeclared candidate Fred Thompson led the bottom of the field over the other challengers that didn't participate I think the big story is Ron Paul's 5th place finish with 1305 votes.

For a guy who has been written off by the major media and the "serious" pundits as a fringe lunatic, that's a more than respectable showing. Considering Romney got his votes the old-fashioned way -- he bought them with astroturf, they almost don't count. Ron Paul's result came from true grassroots. His supporters should feel proud. They did a great job of pushing him out of obscurity and the press should start treating him as a viable candidate. Not that they will.

Update: After falling asleep sitting up in front of the computer last night, I posted my morning after reflections at the DetNews. Romney says the win wasn't hollow. Funny it sounds pretty empty to me.

The other two big lessons in Iowa were the GOP has a big problem with voter apathy and this should serve as a huge reminder that we need to do something about Diebold voting machines now. If we wait much longer they'll tell us it's too late to fix the problems for 08.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Paul also has support from many Democrats while I think it's safe to say none of the others have any friends outside the Republican feed-lot at all.

While I think the idea of doing away with the IRS and Social Security and public education are over the top, I don't think any president would have the ability to implement such changes - especially if the Bush claims to imperial power are got rid of as Paul claims they would be.

Maybe I'm riding to the bait, but the idea of a government that gets out of religion and out of private lives and goes back to taking the constitution seriously makes me look on Mr. Paul with some favor.

11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have to say there's a lot of stuff I like about him but unfortunately there's a lot of stuff I don't. Still, I'd like his candidacy to do well because he is bringing some much needed discussion on personal freedom to the table.

12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

It reminds me of how Ross Perot changed the Bush/Clinton debate by forcing them to discuss issues rather than issue slogans.

All the other candidates are shy about the erosion of liberty and somebody needs to keep them from ignoring it.

3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's why I want to keep him in the race Fogg, even if I don't think I really want him to be president.

4:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romney won fair and square but he spent an awful lot of money there. I was initially dissapointed, but am generally fine with how it turned out. obviously i am a huge Paul supporter. Here's a great column by Karen kwiatokowski, who was in "why we fight" and who were it not for her, we would probably not know what little we do know about the office of special plans and the selling of the iraq war

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karen-kwiatkowski/ron-paul-iowa-and-the-pr_b_60048.html


it's a liberal site so you don't have to worry about bumping into any meenie puss's making fun of Joe Wilson or something.

I believe the federal government is obsolete. People say "if we don't have the federal goverment it will be like survivor, the roads won't be kept up, the rich people will hog everything, bridges will be left to rot". No, that is what it's like NOW.

"freedom is popular" Ron Paul

12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks for the link Lester. I'll try to read it later.

3:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home