Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dear God

By Libby

Deliver me from armchair warriors. I can't bring myself to link to this unimaginably idiotic post. You can read it full here, but I will give you the money quote from John Derbyshire's latest macho posturing masquerading as blog content.
Yes, yes, I know it's easy to say these things: but didn't the heroes of Flight 93 teach us anything? As the cliche goes—and like most cliches. It's true—none of us knows what he'd do in a dire situation like that. I hope, however, that if I thought I was going to die anyway, I'd at least take a run at the guy.
Leaving aside the fact that the Flight 93 warriors didn't rush their captors until an hour later, the intrepid Mr. D thinks the students and staff were way too cowardly and much of this mayhem could have prevented if only they had counted the rounds as the bullets were flying and jumped the shooter while he was reloading.

Anna Marie Cox has the appropriate answer to that.
Derbyshire’s thoughts are a special kind of stupid, combing a unique blend of blame-the-victim arrogance, Monday-morning quarterbacking, unearned machismo, and a breathtaking degree of callousness.

I suppose it’s possible we’ll find a dumber response to yesterday’s tragedy, but it’s hard to see how.
Well Ana Marie, I agreed with that last night, but enter arrested adolescent Nathanael Blake. This putz in training pants thinks the kids should have rushed the crazed gunman.
Like Derb, I don’t know if I would live up to this myself, but I know that I should be heartily ashamed of myself if I didn’t. Am I noble, courageous and self-sacrificing? I don’t know; but I should hope to be so when necessary.
Having been assaulted at gunpoint twice, which I describe in detail here, I wouldn't wish it on anybody but I feel certain that if either of these two theorectically courageous "men" were ever staring down that barrel, those great big tin foil balls would crumble like matzohs at Passover.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger nolocontendere said...

Aside from the fact that Flight 93's mythology was made from whole cloth as the plane had catastrophic mid air trauma, Deryshire's penis strut is pathetic. But I think it'll pale next to the pathetic attempt to link this incident to the Dreaded Islamofascist Menace!!

10:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that horrible? You have college students who had recently rolled out of bed sitting in classes, probably stressing about next month's finals in a sleepy little town in VA. Someone steps through the door and starts shooting a gun-- shock,fear, disbelief,paralysis might be some of what you'd expect as they hit the deck. How would they have known if there were 1 gunman or 5? Now some a**holes tucked safely behind their computer screens have the nerve to diminish the strength and character of all those dead and survivors? I hope they never have to look down the barrel of a gun, but if they ever find themselves in that position, I hope their words come back to haunt them.

11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really need guys like that in the marines, I wonder if they know that?

11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Nolo - the flight 93 reference was totally lame and exposes Derb for the vainglorious he is.

Rocky, people like these two are just horrible.

Anon - I suspect guys like these two soil their trousers just passing by the recruiting office.

9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Libby
I'm too wrapped up in the whole Va. Tech thing. I read the Derbyshire post and also Michelle Malking and I can't post about any of it. I'll just start throwing bombs and we don't need that.
Great post, glad you're back.

1:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home