Saturday, October 06, 2012

Touching me, touching you

Don't understand the fascination with daily polls. The only thing you learn is that the public is fickle and we already know that. And there's so many out there now, that you can find one that validates your world view at any given moment. But I don't need that.

Me. I don't get excited when Obama's poll numbers are up. Don't get worried when they're down. I measure the public temperament more by what I see and overhear on the streets. Or don't. There is support for Romney among people who should know better. The ones I talk to have been woefully misinformed. Not sure all of them are going to vote. And plenty of time left for the Mittster to screw before this is over. So not worried like I was in 2008.

Meanwhile the Rombot is out there practicing his mad "acting like a human" skillz. Telling the sad stories himself. Noticing he's changing his facial expressions too. He smiles with an open mouth which doesn't really succeed in making him look any more sincere. And ye gods, he's been touching all the peoples. I must have seen a dozen photos in the last three days of him hugging the hot polloi. This one was my favorite. [via]

Somehow not feeling the empathy in this shot. Then compare and contrast to this one.

Backstory here. I know I'm biased, but this one feels real to me.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Blogger Mule Breath said...

Probably pretty real to a lot of us. The give a shit factor is as high now in the progressive/liberal faction as I've ever seen it... even after 50+ years of election watching.

Reading you all this time I'm still not certain where you sit on the religion factor, but from my observations it is in the myth-o-sphere where we find the source of all the greed and all the don't give a shit that infests this planet.

Evict the myth and maybe we can start finding our way out of this cesspool.

9:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mule Breath said...

Oh, and I might add that I appreciate the link to Kobe's story.

10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't religion has anything to do with the greed and selfishness. But a lot of self-professed God fearers are certainly infected with it. Often the more publicly pious, the more corrupt the soul.

10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

If greed and selfishness don't stem from the fake reality of religion, religion sure as hell has always been a way of sanctifying them and every other base instinct humans share with other apes.

If anyone has read Jefferson and Madison on the subject, they most likely share my amazement at how American history has been twisted like a pretzel to make it seem like this was supposed to be a
Christian country. But twisting history, truth, logic and even common decency into a tool for persecution and domination (to paraphrase Madison) is the history of religion.

9:28:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Good point Fogg. I don't think it creates the evil but it does give it cover. And I did sort of the forget the whole killing in the name of God thing, which I have never understood.

10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mule Breath said...

The terms religion and myth are synonymous. Myth was born out of fear and the woo peddlers have always used the power of fear to gain and retain power.

Evil exists in the hearts of men. The purveyors of myth are not all of evil intent, but the myth gives those who are evil the cover they need to legitimize evil actions.

As an example look at the commandment "Thou shall not kill." Yet we find that the U.S. Air Force uses sermons and biblical justification to dehumanize a potential enemy and make a nuclear strike seem justified. This is an outgrowth of the time-honored tradition of dehumanizing and demonizing an enemy. We kill them “for god and country.”

At least in Jefferson’s day when we attacked an enemy it was for good old capitalism, and not some mythical sky-daddy.

3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Killing to protect God or "the faith" are mysteries to me too. Kinda makes you wonder just how powerful the old man is -- can create a universe with a word, but wets his pants because I don't believe in his ass?

I know it irritates people when I say this, but I equate it with insanity. Insanity isn't always dangerous or evil, but it can't be understood by the sane.

Perhaps we have some innate instinct to obey, to grovel before authority -- things that stem perhaps from our origin as social apes. We do have instincts to obey parental authority, to suck up to it and flatter it. Perhaps that helps explain some of Western Religions cultivation of self contempt and feeling of unworthiness, but it's more than that. I'm done trying to understand it though and for every beneficent thing that comes out of it, I can show you countless contrary examples.

11:46:00 AM  
Blogger merlallen said...


Romney doesn't have a lot of support from older veterans from what I hear when I'm at the VA Hospital.

1:47:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'm glad to hear that! I also hear that here in Florida, many vets are turned of by Candidate for the House Allen West who is campaigning as a war hero but was forced to resign in disgrace for beating and torturing an innocent civilian in Iraq.

The likelihood of yet another war under Rombo seems higher and I wonder if he would handle the recent shelling of Turkey, a NATO ally by Syria as calmly as Obama did.

11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home