Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Goodbye Mr. Gibbs


Here's the first confirmed departure from the White House inner circle. PressSec Robert Gibbs announced he's resigning his post and will "become an outside political adviser to the president and his re-election campaign."
Mr. Gibbs said that he intends to leave the podium in early February. His successor has not yet been decided, he said, but will likely be announced within the next two weeks.
The White House Press Corps did little to hide their dislike of the man. I suspect it's because he made them work too hard. He's really good at a thankless job, staying on message and rarely gets tricked into delivering easy soundbytes.

For myself, I like him more than any of his recent predecessors on either side of the fence. I mean in a position where the job description is essentially to spin positive agitprop for the president, he seems to me to be more honest than most and has the kind of dry humor that I find appealling. Also, since I suffer from this myself, I love a guy who blushes involuntarily, and frequently. I'm going to miss him.

[photo credit]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He seems like a nice informed guy, but I once counted him saying "Ummmm" over 300 times during one Whitehouse Press Room gathering of a Q & A with the press corps. I was prompted to do this by observing a prior meeting where he did this precisely same thing and thought it odd that someone didn't give him a heads up to this rather distracting habit.
More remarkably, he still does this! Thank You

Mike

5:20:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Never really noticed it myself. But I find it oddly endearing to know that he does it.

5:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Ruth said...

He always called on Helen Thomas and treated her with respect. I particularly like him for that.

3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Agree Ruth. Liked that about him too. Overall, I found him less oily than most of his recent predecessors. And smarter too.

5:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home