Saturday, October 03, 2009

Mysterious forces in Montana - Updated

You may recall that small town in Montana that was trying to get Gitmo prisoners transferred to their new and very empty jail. They owe big time bucks on the place and apparently didn't have anybody to put in it. Hard to believe in this incarceration crazy country. But in any event, the Gitmo thing didn't work out so they apparently leased it to this very mysterious private security group.

No one seems to know who they are, or what they're doing there. The story is supposedly that they're going to build some kind of training center, but they freaked the town out when they arrived driving SUVs with local police stickers on the doors. The conspiracy theorists are hot and heavy around this one and the mystery deepens since the company scrubbed its site.

However, nothing dies on the internets. TPM archived the website. I heard a wingnut caller on Alan Colmes radio show last night say it was Czech based group but the first thing I thought of was Blackwater, now known as Xe. I won't be surprised if it turns out this is just another front group for them.

Update: May not be Blackwater after all. This from Open Left suggests it may be some kind of elaborate con job. As they say, story developing... Fascinating.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Larkspur said...

Libby, did you ever watch any of that two-season TV series, Jericho? I kind of liked it. The premise was that the residents of a small town smack in the middle of the American Mid-West had to deal with the aftermath of "dirty-bomb" terrorist strikes on numerous American cities, causing the collapse of the government and teh infrastructure and whatnot. They're never quite sure of what's happening because communication is so sporadic. But gradually a pattern emerges: one of the entities that appears to have been tasked with getting things back together is a private company called "Ravenwood". Oh, very very noir indeed, since Ravenwood may well have been tasked with making things fall apart in the first place.

In the history of fine television events, Jericho would be lucky to get one line, but still, I have to tell you, watching someone dramatize my suspicions and anxiety right there on the television was oddly satisfying.

Now I will actually go read the subject of your post. I just wanted to share that with you, being as it's a cool, windy Saturday night, and I am housebound (a neighbor is helping host a huge fundraiser in this very wealthy neighborhood, and I volunteered parking space behind my car in the driveway, so I'm not going anywhere, not that I particularly want to) and wrangling a five year old pug and her 13 week-old not-quite-housebroken baby brother pug. "Nature's Miracle" is a wonderful product.

9:13:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Never saw it Larkspur but it sounds really interesting. Think I would like it too.

BTW, it's so good to see you here. I miss you when you don't come around.

10:19:00 AM  
Blogger jurassicpork said...

Blackwater lives. That was the first thing I said when I began reading that TMP article. Sure enough, I was right.

I sense a massive, major article appearing on P'ville about this. Thanks so much for this magnificent catch. This is another reason why you're worth saving.

5:40:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Jurassic for the props and the kindness I found in my inbox this morning. Looking forward to your post on this one.

10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home