Saturday, June 06, 2009

Back to the battle

I'm about to lose this internet connection. Hoping my installation package arrives today, but just in case, a few links to amuse you until I get online again. I see the nomination of Sotomayor is still a hot topic and this week's theme in the smear machine is that she is allegedly a racist, based on a few words in some old speech. Unsurprisingly, a a RAW STORY investigation found that a corporate sponsored astro-turf group is behind the the attacks.

I missed Obama's speech in Cairo yesterday but I hear our favorite climate change denier is aghast that he would reach out in peace to the Muslim community.
Sen. Jim Inhofe said today that President Barack Obama’s speech in Cairo was “un-American” because he referred to the war in Iraq as “a war of choice” and didn’t criticize Iran for developing a nuclear program.

Inhofe, R-Tulsa, also criticized the president for suggesting that torture was conducted at the military prison in Guantanamo, saying, “There has never been a documented case of torture at Guantanamo.”

“I just don’t know whose side he’s on,” Inhofe said of the president.
Hard to see how he read all that into phrases like this.
I have come here to seek a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world; one based upon mutual interest and mutual respect; and one based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive, and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles — principles of justice and progress; tolerance and the dignity of all
human beings.
In any event, from what I've read, it was well received nearly everywhere except at the RNC and other hotbeds of wingnuttia. It looks like a good start toward defusing the conflict between our two cultures.

And just for fun, I loved this Hammer dance flash mob.

Ina is doing 100 pieces of art in 100 days. This is one of my favorites.

Monkeyfister has a helluva great garden complete with corn tigers.

And google tells me it's the 25th anniversary of Tetris. I loved that game once upon a time. Feels rather out of date to me now. I wonder if people still play it?

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home