Sunday, January 11, 2009

More solutions, less critique


Everybody has an opinion about the stimulus bill but this commenter at TPM gets it right. The criticism focuses too much on what's wrong without offering any constructive suggestions on how it could be done better.
Anyone paying attention, by now, knows how difficult and daunting the task. And those paying attention are also aware of the complexity and intricacy of the terrain. It's time for the chattering classes to add light and not just heat. Educate us, inform us, but also help us to see the solutions, not just the problem.
Krugman responds with a surprisingly weak defense.
The most independent outsiders can do is lay out general principles — such as the principle that, given the likelihood of sustained high unemployment, the search for public investment projects should go beyond the “shovel-ready” stuff that’s getting most of the focus now. And that’s what I and others will do as we try to push the incoming economic team along.
I have a lot of respect for Krugman, but I think he's missing the point. No one expects him to come up with a detailed plan on how Boise could spend a few million dollars but even in general terms he could suggest more specifically what sort of projects would advance the goals.

I read him a lot. I agree the plan is too heavy on tax cuts. What I want to know is, if he was in charge, how would he allocate the money. Mass transit projects? Revitalizing forsaken downtown districts like Detroit by investing in small business incubation and restoring abandoned buildings? Investing in arts and sciences funding for public schools?

These are things I think would help but I'm not an economist. This is what I want Krugman and the other smart people I read to tell me. Who cares if you know how much money going to be committed? Just pretend it will be funded and propose a concrete general plan. That would be helpful. Complaining about what's wrong with the leaked proposals, not so much.

In the meantime the consensus for doing nothing is at zero.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home