Sunday, June 08, 2008

Something about Obama

By Libby

I meant to get to this earlier. Mark Morford is a writer most people either love or hate. Me, I love the guy. He's possessed of a wry perspective and a dry wit that appeals to me and he's tapped into the New Age community. This week he's looking at the mysterious appeal of Obama and finds the cosmic explanation. It's worth reading in full but here's the money quote.
To them I say, all right, you want to know what it is? The appeal, the pull, the ethereal and magical thing that seems to enthrall millions of people from all over the world, that keeps opening up and firing into new channels of the culture normally completely unaffected by politics?

No, it's not merely his youthful vigor, or handsomeness, or even inspiring rhetoric. It is not fresh ideas or cool charisma or the fact that a black president will be historic and revolutionary in about a thousand different ways. It is something more. Even Bill Clinton, with all his effortless, winking charm, didn't have what Obama has, which is a sort of powerful luminosity, a unique high-vibration integrity.

New Agers call him a Lightworker and although the term and this piece has been rounded mocked by the usual suspects, that strikes me as being correct. Lightworkers do walk among us. You probably know a couple yourself. That person who walks into a party and the whole room lights up. They're smart and congenial and everyone feels better after spending time with them. They're popular, successful and most importantly empathetic. Everybody is always trying to get a piece of them.

Obama is one of these people only on a grander scale than most. When his light shines, it illuminates the masses and imbues them with hope. I really don't understand why anyone thinks that's a bad thing. Seems to me it's exactly what this country needs right now.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Ginny in CO said...

Thanks for giving Monford's article more light. I am not a new age person - just aware that we have not fully developed many of our capacities.

The funny thing for me about Obama is that I don't find him particularly handsome (let alone 'hot') and his voice is almost a problem for my weird auditory perception; I still feel the light and energy.

8:17:00 PM  
Blogger QueersOnTheRise said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:47:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey ginny. I don't find him so handsome either but he is charismatic and I think the Lightworker frame fits. I might say he has an apparent impeccability more so than integrity, but he definitely has some kind of energy that draws people to him.

9:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home