Saturday, June 07, 2008

In Memorium

expatbrian

I spent untold hours watching and listening to this man host Wide World of Sports. He was both inspiring and dignified and when I read that he had died, I truly felt a loss. Phil Jackson, said, "I remember him more than anything standing on some ski slope with snow falling around him and covering some downhill ski event somewhere in the world, whether it was the Olympics or not", and that about sums it up for me, too.

Jim McKay, working for ABC sports, covered 12 Olympics and hundreds of other sporting events all over the world. So much apart of international sports was he that ABC Sports allowed him to cover the 2002 games even though it was an NBC contract.

Jim McKay, dead at 86.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Beautiful eulogy Brian. I'm so glad you did this post because I couldn't do him justice. I don't so much remember him as I remember loving the Wide World of Sports as a kid.

8:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps his most memorable moments were during the hostage crisis at the Munich games. I was going to use the video but that nightmare was not typical of his great reporting. I think he was simply the best at what he did.

9:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home