Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Unlucky in love...

By Libby

But sort of lucky at the gas pump. I see the latest average price of gas has gone up to $3.72 a gallon. I paid $3.63 yesterday. The truckers aren't so fortunate though. The going rate here is $4.24, only a couple of cents off the average highway robbery.

I just missed out on the $3.59 price a couple of days ago. When I pulled up to the pumps I saw they were out of regular gas. I haven't seen that happen since the 70s. And it's only the beginning of the summer driving season.

Which raises another question. I read recently that the refineries don't process gas in the summer but rely on their stocks on hand. Why wouldn't they produce more gas when the demand is highest, other than the opportunity to do a little price gouging?

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I presume that was a rhetorical question!

We actually have cheap gas compared to most other countries and that has helped us become a country that's unusually dependent on it. Now that we're over the barrel, it's time to tighten the screws, no?

(I prefer my metaphors mixed, not stirred.)

9:52:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

You presume correctly. And you're right. The reason we have all these horrible behemoths on the roads in the first place is that the price of gas is so artifically low here.

10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

It's also because of the poorly written CAFE laws that mandated tiny cars and exempted trucks. "SUV" was an esoteric word reserved for things like the 1947 Willys Jeepster until the manufacturers realized they could sell trucks to yuppies by putting nice upholstery in them - and surprise, surprise, the profit margins on SUV's are much higher than on cars.

Funny how our fashions (and laws) coincide with maximum profit for big corporations.

8:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home