Sunday, May 11, 2008

Where have all the mothers gone?

By Capt. Fogg

T
his being my first Mother's day without having a mother, I tend to notice all the hoopla from the people selling things, from flowers to Caribbean cruises, with a bit of sadness. Of course being a language snob and a grammatical elitist, at least in America where using the language at above the Kindergarten level is like carrying Chairman Mao's little red book, I'm disgusted with the metamorphosis of Mother's Day into "Mom's Day."

"I always wanted to be a Mom" reads today's local newspaper headline. The respect implied by being someone's mother would be too much for down-to-earth, anti-adult Americans. Maybe we should stop saying Mother of God or Mother Theresa or God forbid, Mother Miles and change them all to "Moms."

Isn't it bad enough that we wear backwards caps like the Little Rascals; do we have to talk like toddlers? Grow up.

And while we're on the subject, why the hell not a Grandparent's day? Particularly when the grown children are still being subsidized by said ancestors? Just don't call it Gramps' day or Granny's day. Why? Because I'm a pistol packin' Grandpa and I don't like it, that's why.

*All the above is null and void if you actually are my grandson, of course. In that case you can do no wrong.


Cross posted from Human Voices

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Actually Fogg, I believe there is a Grandparents Day now, or at least Hallmark sells cards for it. Heck there's a day for everything now.

And I hope warm memories of your mother help ease the oddness of not being able to wish her a happy day in person.

11:51:00 AM  
Blogger rockync said...

A funny and poignant tribute -- cheers, Fogg!

12:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do notice that I used the term Mother in my post below. And I used it in the email greeting to the two women who are the mothers of my grandchildren. Nice tribute.

8:26:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

My apologies to everyone for my prolonged absence from this esteemed blog. Recently I moved to new digs followed immediately thereupon by a boatload of visitors and freeloaders. Call me "Mr. Mom." Errata: "Mr. Mother."

Please accept my condolences, Captain Fogg, for your profound loss.

For all the "moms" of this world, please accept my belated "Happy Mothers' Day."

1:11:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

Good to see you back in the 'hood, Swampcracker! Hope you are happy in your new digs and that your visitors have left you with some energy intact to tackle the blogs! LOL

2:59:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey SC. We missed you.

3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Many thanks for your warm welcome back. I am ashamed to admit my other reason for missing Mothers' Day: That darn coat hanger still in my ear.

3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Hey - I was starting to worry that you'd had enough of us.

8:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home