Sunday, March 02, 2008

Prodigal son, part two

By Capt. Fogg

I avoid Palm Beach. The homes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter are there. The place still has too many remnants of its former "Gentleman's agreement" and "no Jews allowed" snobbery and I still remember once being openly sneered at by a liveried doorman in front of Gucci as I shoehorned my brand new but still too plebeian $60,000 car between the Bentleys on Worth Avenue. It's the sort of place I associate with former Congressman Mark Foley.

It's not that Foley was born with a silver spoon in his mouth or made any great fortune as is typical of the local gentry. In fact he spent some of his youth removing forks and spoons and dirty dishes from restaurant tables. Still, he seems to be seen at the right restaurants and clubs and in the company of the right people; sometimes very far right people.

Foley is back from his brief social exile, having completed as he says, his rehabilitation from alcoholism. As a guest at the ball that opens the Palm Beach Fashion Week, he was celebrated by appreciative well wishers at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago Friday night. Although he didn't represent that district, that's where his support and his fountain of funds has always been. Attendees seemed to appreciate all that he did "for the community" which as I remember was to push for poorly conceived laws to shut down nudist camps in the Sunshine State and to make it illegal to draw pictures of minors that Foley saw as hot, hot, hot. Of course he did facilitate that minor miracle of getting a Democrat, Tim Mahoney, elected. I have to be grateful for that.

I presume that Mark has changed his ways and is no longer chasing after minors, and it seems that he is using his former contacts and skills in that frequent fall-back profession of deposed politician: a Florida Real Estate Salesman. He's now open about his male partner; a wealthy Palm Beach dermatologist. I wish him well. I think he's paid for his indiscretion and his hypocrisy. His friends, of course, don't need my best wishes and his party would long since have disappeared if my wishes had any influence in the matter.

Cross posted from Human Voices

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's so interesting Fogg. So much for going down in disgrace. Amazing how the same people who will hate Clinton to their graves for lying about a blowjob will so easily forgive a guy for diddling around with young boys.

12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

We're essentially tribal animals. Clinton was never a member or that tribe. I wouldn't be, even if I could, of course.

2:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home