Saturday, March 01, 2008

Media Bytes - Heart of Gold edition

By Libby

Song in my head. I usually try to go with the more obscure tunes for famous artists but I don't know, this one fits my mood this afternoon. I feel like I'm searching for a point that I can't quite find in this mixed bag of links.

I'm impressed by this post. It's not the most flattering photo I've ever seen of Dr. Black. I thought it was brave of him to post it.

Our own expat Brian posted this video but his link is dead so in case you missed Sarah Silverman breaking the news to her boyfriend Jimmy Kimmel, you can watch it here. I don't really know who either of them are although I saw an episode of Monk that Sarah starred in recently, but her video confession got a lot of steam. I'm not sure Jimmy's response got as much notice. I think hers was more clever but his casting was more impressive.

Meanwhile, Tim Russert impresses us in a different way with his extreme inanity, while Jill Miller Zimon of The Moderate Voice just plain impressed us with her eloquence on CNN.

While we're doing videos here, I assume by now you've seen the dueling 'red phone' ads but I'm betting you missed the 1860 version.

Speaking of missing out, if you live in Alabama, you probably didn't see the 60 Minutes segment on how the GOP screwed Don Siegelman with a trumped up lawsuit since the program mysteriously blacked out during that portion of the show. Weird but not surprising.

What was surprising was finding out the administration can do something so foul that even the Confederate Yankee says it stinks.

And unfortunately unsurprising is that two more people were arrested for holding up a political sign on a public way.

Moving on and being of a certain age myself, I do have some empathy for McCain's senior moment but really, how can anyone consider allowing an old guy who was wrong about everything run the country?

And finally something for the font geeks in the audience. There's a new typography term that's sure to come in handy someday and in case you were wondering why the branding of Obama is working so well, it's apparently all about the font discipline. An interesting read even if you're not a font geek.

[graphic via, some links via Avedon and Newsroom-1.]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

14 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

there's something so inexplicably loathsome about Sarah Silverman, the last thing I would want to contemplate is her sex life.

And speaking of inexplicable, just what is there that makes Eschaton readable. Someone needs to explain that to me.

Great another "new" and basically useless term. I heard someone make "oversight" into a verb today - he wqas oversighting something or other. I give up on English. It's nothing but German for the rest of the weekend until my hear clears.

6:15:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. There is something uniquely irritating about her isn't there? I'm not interested the sex angle either, but I'm fascinated by this particular subset of our species -- the tragically hip. Self absorbed creatively rude types interest me. I wasn't interested in her video until he did the comeback. I don't know the backstory about this but I suppose it's predictable enough. I expect they've been conducting some kind public relationship on what appears to be this guy's talk show. Kind of a living MySpace page thing. They're probably having a real contest of some sort. His comeback was perfect. I think he won the game.

As for Atrios. I don't so much read him as check to see what he's linking to. There's not much to read but he often catches something I might have otherwise missed and his links on the economy have been really interesting lately. I've used quite a few at DetNews.

8:42:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Es tut mir Leid, aber nur Deutsch verstehe ich heute.

10:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug, Libby. Checked the link and it worked for me. I wasn't so much interested in Silverman as I was in Matt Damon. It was so out of character for him that I found it very refreshing.

By the way, Cap'n, I just started teaching English as a second language(ESL)here. Maybe I will use your site as an example of how one can use the language when they get verrrrrrrrrry good at it.

11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Brian. When I went to link to your post it was coming up as video removed. Must be my computer. I think it's dying. It's getting pretty old and it's been really glitchy.

Think you'll have wait until Fogg starts speaking English again before you use his blog as a teaching aid for ESL. :-}

Fogg, Gefühl besser bald.

9:27:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Bald? I have all my hair - oops! Verdammt.

10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. Blame altavista. I thought that looked like some kind of German swear word.

12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Bald means soon. Gefühl isn't actually the right word it's a noun. Fühle dich bald besser would be more correct.

2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Sigh. Altavista is so inadequate in expressing my heartfelt desire that you overcome your malaise in a speedy manner. Alas, that I have no other means of expressing my concern.

2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'll be in a better mood when Blue Moon, my new boat, arrives in early April.

Until then, all I can say is Arrrr

5:05:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Vögeln ruhm um die Uhr.

7:54:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Wie bitte? Birds fame around the clock? Ich habe keine Idee was es beteuten soll.

9:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love sarah silverman! I resisted her for years because I assumed she was another horrible "hip" generation x corporate comedian being shoved down my throat, but her show is amazing.

You should see her show before you cast judgement. They had one where the one gay guy wanted to try some Tab and his boyfriend was like oh you won't like it. the first guy was offended and went on and on about how great it was and bought cases of it. then he painted his car to look like a can of tab and wore a ridiculous Tab costume. not because he actually liked it, but because he resented his boyfriend saying he would't like it.

10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Wie bitte?

An idiomatic expression in German, literal meaning "Birdie around the clock." Figurative meaning: something rabbits and squirrels do to keep their numbers up.

6:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home