Wednesday, February 06, 2008

a REAL Chinese New Year

by expatbrian

Tomorrow marks the first day of the official Chinese New Year celebration here in Singapore. I thought I might run you through it.

In the morning we will have breakfast at the matriarchs house, (Pearl's mother), who lives in the heart of Chinatown (just off Smith St for those of you who know the city). Breakfast will consist of red noodles (a thin, spaghetti like noodle in a red sauce with chicken), fish of some kind, pork, soup (often this is a sea cucumber or another seafood soup), a second chicken dish, a green vegetable (I can never tell what it actually is), fried tofu (in my honor...love the stuff), chinese tea, coffee and assorted drinks.

No, there is no scrambled eggs, hash browns, Jimmy Dean sausage or country bisquits with gravy in Chinatown.

Assembled and dropping in throughout the morning will be Pearl's three brothers and their wives, assorted kids (all grown) and family friends. Usually 20-30 in all. Each "kid" will approach each elder and offer a pair of oranges and say "Cong Xi Fa Cai" (happy new year).
They will bow.

In return for this formal greeting they will receive an Ang Pow. This is a brightly decorated envelope, usually red and gold, that contains money. It is considered very bad form to open your ang pow at that time. For kids not in the immediate family this might be 4-8 bucks each. Your own kids might get 10 or 20. The matriarch gets at least 100 from each.
This meal will last for hours as people come and go. At a certain point though, everyone will assemble and go pay respects to the deceased patriarch, Pearl's dad. His ashes are now housed at a beautiful new temple very nearby.
During this visit, food will be offered, incense will be burned and paper items will be burned to him items he may need in the afterlife. Large burning drums are set up for this function. Stores sell paper shirts, ties, pants, food, money...even houses and cars.
In the afternoon we will go visit family friends. Each will have snacks and drinks (non-alchoholic) and it is a time to catch up and chat. In the evening it is back to the matriarchs house for more food, gambling and an extended game of mahjong. This game can easily last all night.
On Friday, the morning is spent at home with breakfast ( I usually have just a bowl of noodles), some free time and then later, back to ah ma's (grandmas) house for more serious mahjong.
I don't play the serious stuff because, although I have learned and can play the game, I don't play anywhere near their level. Games can easily be worth $100 a round or more depending on the agreed upon limits.

The last two days are rest days. I spend them blogging, surfing and playing upwords with Pearl.
I'm thrilled to say that I, an ang mo (white guy) have been accepted to participate in this wonderful weekend. I hope you enjoy yours. Cong Xi Fa Cai!
Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna comment here first. I hat blogger and that's why I gave it up a few years ago. I spent over an hour working on this post while blogger changed everything I did everytime I saved it.
In the future, I make no guarantees concerning the asthetics or even the readability of my posts here. God, as good as Google is, you would think they could do a better job with this.
I'm sticking to wordpress.

6:44:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Blogger sucks. I find it's easier to use the HTML platform to work in and I always compose offline in wordpad and cut and paste in.

Great post. Happy New Year. I LOVE mahjong. We organized a group of women that used to play regularly. We weren't that good and we didn't play for money but it was really fun.

7:09:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Gee thanks - there are very few decent Chinese restaurants within 100 miles of me and now I'm starving for some real food.

My wife is Chinese, as some of you know and we usually make some acknowledgment of the event. This year it will probably only be some of the barbequed duck I've been hoarding and frozen Xiao mai, but there is a fireworks store nearby and I love the smell of gunpowder in the evening.

Gong he xin shi ( sorry, I don't know a word of your dialect!)

9:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to start the new year! I too love to play Mahjong but I'm not that good at it. It is fun, though. The food sounds lovely and I've heard it's nothing like what we get a "Chinese" restaurants in the US.

10:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fogg, Pearl is of course Chinese and is interested in where your wife is from. She recognizes the dialect you are using. Pearl speaks several of the dialects and her father's family, Ting, is from a southern province. Pearl is native Singaporean but like most here she is ethnic Chinese.

4:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, as far as I'm concerned there is no Chinese food in America at least in restaurants. I've never had any. I didn't realize that until I got here of course. All of our meals are made from scratch, all veges are fresh as is all the chicken and pork. We buy it almost daily at the outdoor markets.
I bought the households first oven when I came and now one of the girls makes pastries, cakes, scones etc, but all from scratch. I think that's a lost art in America.

4:33:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

My wife is from Minneapolis, but her father was from Beijing and her mother from Chengdu. She had to learn Chinese in school which means it's Beijing dialect. There are some good restaurants in Chicago, I know but you really have to look for them - good stuff in Toronto too.

I've only been to China once but yes, the food is something else - even the street food.

5:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home