Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Eclipse alert - Updated

By Libby

If you love celestial phenomena, there's a total eclipse of the moon tonight. It's supposed to start around quarter to nine EST, but if you're in a different time zone, check here for your best viewing.

I don't think I'm going to be able to see it. The moon rose about an hour ago in a clear sky but since then the clouds rolled in and they're not moving at all. Unless the winds aloft get going, I'm afraid I'll miss it. Hope you have better luck.

Update: Well, the wind kicked up and broke up the clouds a little. There was a good sized break for about ten minutes so I got to see it at its peak but I didn't get to see any of the changes. The coolest part was I could watch from the comfort of my deck. That was a first. If the weather thwarted you as well, Earl made a short YouTube of the event.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

It was a clear, balmy night. We watched with high power binoculars, but it looked best with the naked eye. The moon looked very three dimensional instead of like a disc.

9:09:00 AM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

One of the nicest I've seen. Just before totality it looked exactly like Mars with medium magnification, with a mottled surface, white polar cap and a lovely amber color.

9:19:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I envy everybody who got to see the whole thing. I got ten minutes of clear view just when it looked a lot like Mars. And what were the other stars on either side? It was a gorgeous tableau.

10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

One of them was Saturn, but with 16 power binoculars you can't quite make out the rings.

10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Wow. I love when the stars are planets. I thought the one was very bright.

7:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home