Monday, September 03, 2007

It's Decisional

by Capt Fogg

I'm not even going to bother with the dictionary. If Decisional is a word, it shouldn't be, but a Decisional meeting is what Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell called today's "surprise" get together at the Al Asad Air Base in Iraq's Anbar province; bringing together senior U.S. military leaders, top Iraqi political leadership, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and of course, the Decider in full Decisional mode.
"Nothing beats the opportunity to look David Petraeus in the eye and Ambassador Crocker and say, 'What's the situation? What do you think?'"
said an unnamed "senior official as quoted by ABC News today. I don't agree. I think we'd be better off, decisionally speaking, having the opinion of someone whose career doesn't depend on selling vain hopes and sanguine dreams to delusional deciders.

Whether or not there has been a significant and stable gain in overall security in Iraq of late, and whether the administration is simply sprucing up the stage set or building a full scale Potemkin Village, one can be forgiven a bit of skepticism -- and particularly one old enough to remember General Westmoreland's hauntingly similar vision of a "light at the end of the tunnel" 10 weeks before the Tet Offensive.

cross posted at Human Voices

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like a gathering of the "clans" before a full scale assualt on Iran. The decider and his fellow cave dwellers are probably sizing up the enemy while beating the dirt floor with their clubs working themselves into a frenzy.

12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Well, nothing they do or say surprises me any more. I don't know why they even bother to justify their actions.

2:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Capn. I was trying to leave a comment on your Fogg blog but alas, could not as it will no longer accept my Google sign in. I mentioned before and will again here, you might want to change your comment sign in filter to one like this one on Impolitic. It gives you the same security but it also gives us, the commenters a way to sign in using our blog sites, which makes our name a link. Yours only does that for those using Blogger which many of us don't. Anyway, I will leave my comment here.

5:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I think we'd be better off, decisionally speaking, having the opinion of someone whose career doesn't depend on selling vain hopes and sanguine dreams to delusional deciders."

Like the report the GAO already produced, much to the chagrin of the administration.

5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Exactly - BTW I made that change - I think. Give it a try.

5:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home