Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Blogrolling - Reincarnation by permit only edition

By Libby

I haven't toured my blogroll since I started at Newshoggers, which Cernig tells me has been six months. It feels shorter. Anyway, I decided yesterday to chuck the news and read a few of my old friends last night. My froggy friend Kvatch is still posting up the usual prime snark and I found this gem there.
In one of history's more absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission. According to a statement issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs, the law, which goes into effect next month and strictly stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate, is "an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation."

Sounds like something Cheney would come up with, but it's actually a serious matter. The premise behind the law is to allow the government to name the next Dalai Lama, rather than allow his reincarnated person to emerge in the traditional manner that I don't really understand. The upshot being, when His Holiness dies, we could end up with two Dalai Lamas. That's probably not good.

I also found out from Kvatch that a couple of people I know have hung up their keyboards. I haven't been around much but I'm still going to miss Peacechick Mary and PTCruiser. I wish them well on the path.

Thankfully, not everyone is quitting. ExPat Brian is still pounding the keys in Singapore and I wish him a belated happy 2nd blogiversary. He also posts a heartwrenching YouTube on Kent State. It's a grim reminder that dissent was always dangerous in this country and the rhetoric hasn't changed much. They were calling us traitors then too, for wanting to end an immoral and illogical war.

Speaking of illogical wars, Xsociate has a great roundup of links about Bush's surprise visit to Anbar. Be sure not to miss Jill's photo of the day. It's priceless.

Meanwhile, my friend Kathy is noticing the money is simply not trickling down and those tax cuts are working out just fine, if you're one of those investor class types who find contributing to the national treasury insulting.

And to end this on a more pleasant note Mike has the Aussie eyed view of Bush's visit to his country but I'm going to link to this charming bird story. I found it amusing myself, but then you know how much I love bird stories.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My froggy friend Kvatch is still posting up the usual prime snark and I found this gem there.

Just call me the "Snark-meister"! ;-)

But seriously, thanks for the mention. I just love that article on the Chinese regulating reincarnation. Must be a Confucian thing. Can't have any unregulated reincarnation now can we?

8:02:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I was pretty knocked out by it too your frogginess. Glad to see you're still up and running what with all the retirements going on.

8:20:00 PM  
Blogger The Xsociate said...

Thanks for the mention as well.

2:28:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

My pleasure X.

9:20:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Sorry I'm late in stopping over and thanking you for the mention. I need more hours in my day!!

1:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home