Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Life is funny - but it's not a joke



Being possessed of a dry wit that few outside my close friends understand, I can relate to incomprehensible jokes, but this one rather defies description. It appears I've been punk'd by the world's most bizarre April Fool's joke. Except that it wasn't pulled on April 1st, and the punchline, if you can call some self-serving experiment in viral marketing a punch line, wasn't delivered until today and it was about as funny as pulling the wings off flies or exploding frogs with firecrackers - it was perfect.

I'm a good sport and I don't mind being the victim of a funny joke, but let me give the perps a tip - don't give up the day job in favor of stand-up comedy because I'm pretty sure the reaction is not supposed to be a collective - huh? This one didn't leave me laughing, it left me suspicious about the motives.

I assume grown-ups don't just indulge in third grade humor for fun and the alleged "prank" has a decided Dan Rather distraction factor feel to it. If it was supposed to make us forget that we very much to see the White House related emails that Mr. Rove has stored in violation of the PRA on outside computers, it's not going to work.

But congratulations. You did fool me, although I have to tell you, fooling an senior citizen with failing eyesight who can't even see what's on the TV screen and doesn't know what a sleestack is because she was too old to watch the show when it orginally aired, is really not that impressive.

Oh and thanks to Coptix, for the mockery at their site and the extra hits. A little blog like mine can always appreciate the added traffic. I only wish Malkin wasn't afraid to link to me in her mocking post. Now that would have been funny.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Blogger nolocontendere said...

Yeah, haha and all that. It actually was a well conceived prank I guess. But I thought by the end of April Fools Day the prank gets revealed?
However there's a dark and ugly quality to it that needs to be understood. There's a very good reason why people would automatically assume the worst of Rove - it's because of his despicably slimy history. It's no wild speculation when that's brought up, it's simply a matter of record. We don't need to look for dirty deeds with him. They're already there. It's not necessary to make things up about Rove like the brownshirts made up Gore inventing the internet or Kerry with his self inflicted wounds in Nam. It's not necessary to invent Rovian complicity in conspiracy.
I like what Corrente said - "I’m not sure I understand Roe’s logic here—to prove you’re not part of a conspiracy, you plant disinformation?"

1:09:00 AM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

Ok, I'm a little dense. I don't get it.

7:45:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Nolo - it was clever, it wasn't funny. A joke is supposed to make everybody laugh and this was mean to begin with. And isn't it odd they decided to pull it just as Rove's emails are under scrutiny? Not to mention, I just an item in a local newspaper about it and the photo is real. Rove was in Chatanooga and so apparently was Bush. What were they doing there?

Prague twin - I don't really get the joke either.

9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid idea, probably meant to do what it did. What they can't fake was that horrible rap routine Rove was doing with those other guys while Dopey looked on at some dinner function. What was the point of that!?!

1:48:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Rocky - Rove will live to regret that moment I'm sure. I think it was supposed to show what a regular guy he is.

5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't think with soldiers fighting and dying on foreign soil and the threat of further war mongering on the table that frivolity should be the order of the day. There is nothing "regular" or "normal" about grown men in positions of leadship and power behaving foolishly while all the world looks on. Makes about as much sense as mad Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

7:49:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's a good analogy Rocky. I often get that vision myself. These guys have fiddling right through the whole war.

7:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much of a mea culpa on your part... you got fooled because your liberal ideas make you believe ANYTHING that will support your hoped for outcome on political issues. Get over Bush and move on with your life.

1:28:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Anon - mea culpa on the mea culpa but I got fooled because I'm a technoidiot who didn't get the cultural reference, not because I'm an ideologue.

And I'll get over Bush, when he gets out of office. Until then I'm keeping a close eye on this administration. Last I looked that was still allowed in a free country.

1:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home