Thursday, June 12, 2008

SCOTUS and other stuff

By Libby

There's a huge wildfire about an hour or so driving time to the east of me and I swear I can smell the smoke. Also the air quality was already poor due to no air currents and high pollen counts so I'm moving a little slow today on account of not being able to breathe. To the extent I've been able to focus, I've been posting at Detroit News on the premise that I'm reaching the most McCain supporters in that venue and that's where we need to bring the battle.

Meanwhile, the big news of the day is that SCOTUS upheld habeas rights for Gitmo prisoners. This is already well covered by better legal minds than mine, so I'll just send you to Cernig and Fester who have already flagged the good links and offered their own fine analysis. Meanwhile, the wingnuts have thrown themselves onto the fainting couch in horror at this 'defeat' in the war on terrur. You'll have to find your own links to them.

All I'll add is that I'm surprised to see this decision come out of this court but I welcome it as a heartening baby step back towards restoring respect for the rule of law at the highest levels of our judicial system.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger QueersOnTheRise said...

Darn that Justice Kennedy! Another liberal Reagan appointee. Oh and that Bush 41 Souter appointment. It is SO dangerous to have Republicans naming judges to the SCOTUS!

4:35:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

I was heartened to see the ruling. I was disappointed that the ruling was so divided. As an American, I've been very disturbed by this blatant violation of human rights and the disregard of our constitution. Apparently there are SOME people left in government whose consciences are finally getting to them.

6:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The US constitution has nothing to do with conscience of course and rulings should be based on its laws. It appears that this one was. It would be great to believe that, despite being largely republican, this court actually rises above the politics, like they are supposed to, and rules strickly based on point of law.

This particular ruling seems as if it could strengthen charges of criminal activity in the Bush Admin.

7:17:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

If only anyone would make those charges.

8:57:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't want to put too much hope into this decision myself. I thinking broken clock/blind squirrel.... once in while they get something right.

Overall, the decisions coming out of this court have been a disaster.

Still, I'm glad to see this one. It's something. Better than nothing.

10:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home