Sunday, December 18, 2011

I do not count the time

I'm fast approaching an important birthday. There's a zero at the end of it. So I've been thinking about the space-time continuum. I don't measure time in the same way I did when I was young. That's not to say I don't keep to a daily schedule, but I don't measure the passage of time in hours and days and weeks. Not even in months and years.



Time moves differently at this stage of life. I cherish it in single moments. I measure it in seasons. And decades.

That track by Richard Thompson, former bandmate of Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention. An under-appreciated British invasion band of the day. Still under-appreciated. I saw him live at the Baystate in lovely downtown Noho, he didn't even fill that room. Criminal neglect of great talent.

Bonus track: Nina Simone's unique cover.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

You're going to be 30?

9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. a big *mwah* for that joke.

2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Remember when that sounded old and you felt depressed about it? Seems almost too young now.

4:32:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Wasn't depressed at all about that one. 25 was my OMG I'm old and washed up moment. But I do remember when the prevailing meme was "don't trust anyone over 30. That sure does feel like a VERY long time ago now.

5:24:00 PM  
Blogger merlallen said...

Damn, you're right. 30 was the death sentence. I'm about to be 53 and I still can't believe it. The old saying is true "Inside of every old person is a young person asking what the hell happened"
But, the wife will be 62 in two days So I'm still young.

6:43:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

53 is the new 23, or something like that. ;) And happy birthday to your lovely wife.

6:56:00 PM  
Blogger merlallen said...

Thanks, Libby. And happy birthday to you. the 40s aren't that bad.

8:58:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

53 - Jesus, I was still something at 53. I'll be 67 in a few weeks and it's not the new anything. It's the same old old.

11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Bless you for that merlallen. 40 is in my rear view mirror too.

LOL Fogg, and love the new avi.

10:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home