Saturday, December 17, 2011

Chris Hitchens and me

I don't have a story about me and Hitch. Like thousands of other readers, my story is an impersonal love/hate relationship with this work. Liked him when he agreed with me. Loathed him when he rolled over to the other side. Sure, I watched him get waterboarded and followed the ocassional link, but mostly I found him so irritating that I pretty much ignored him for years.

Even when I did like his work, never held the man in high regard. So, if you want to wallow in rose colored accolades, the hagiography is waning this morning, but you'll find lots of mournful remembrances here. And not everyone is shares my reluctance to speak ill of the dead. Glenzilla gets real as does Alex Pareene.

For myself, I don't have any strong emotions about his death. Yes, he was a colorful figure of our times, a technicolor man, but he didn't really color my world much. Nonetheless, you have to give him a lot of credit for going down fighting. May he rest in peace.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I'll always be jealous of his ability to squelch trolls, but now he's defenseless, as we all ultimately are, and the religious assholes and perverts and egotistical godbothers are dancing on his corpse like the pagan Kali worshipers they are.

5:10:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Not sure he wouldn't like that Fogg. After all, he wasn't above dancing on the graves of the dead himself. I imagine he would find the meaner obits a fitting tribute to his influence.

5:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home