Friday, August 21, 2009

Explaining wee wee

Gah. I didn't watch the presser but as soon as I saw the words wee wee'd on Twitter last night I was pretty sure that it would be the media obsession today. They didn't disappoint.

It occurs to me that fully half of the White House press corps are too young to remember the historical roots of the term, so as a public service, let me explain. Back in the dark ages of the 50s and early 60s, anatomical correctness didn't exist. Any mother who taught her children to refer to their penis or vagina would have been kicked out of the PTA for encouraging obscenity. Thus a wide variety of euphemisms were used instead. Wee Wee and pee pee were commonly used, as were willie, peter and sometimes privates. Wee wee and pee pee functioned as both nouns and verbs. Other euphemisms for urination were tinkle or Number One. I'm sure you can guess what Number Two was.

So to clear up the great mystery over what Obama most likely meant when he said "wee wee'd up," pretend he said "piss their pants." And then imagine the uproar if he had said it that instead. Meanwhile, I wonder if anybody remembers what he said about health care reform? I'm pretty sure the legacy media isn't going to remember to tell you. They'll be much too busy divining the deeper meanings of "wee wee."

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the "wee wee" comment when I watched the OFA discussion. I smiled, it was cute. Then I stopped thinking about it, because important things were being discussed.

What does the media and the right wing focus on? Important stuff? Nah, wee wee. That's the big news of the day. Obama said wee wee (giggle, chortle). These people are children. They're only interested in politics and drama and superficialities, to the near total exclusion of policy matters and serious analysis. And I doubt it will ever change.

4:46:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Such a lack of linguistic imagination. It's actually "Oui Oui" since the Obama family is un-American, you just don't listen to the nutters well enuff.

And off course, since it refers to the sexual profligacy syndrome of that Inside the Beltway group, not to include C Street of course.

10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well giggling over wee wee is a lot easier and more fun than getting into the weeds of policy. I've heard that the media stars are just as vacuous in person from someone who has been to the cocktail parties.

1:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home