Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Daschle is out - Updated

In a surprise move, Daschle withdrew his nomination today. I'm glad and not because of his tax dodge either. While I find the tax evasion of the wealthy class irritating and unfair to those of us who pay the full boat or risk imprisonment, it seems to me if we make tax 'errors' a bar to public office, there will very few people left to run the government. And it's not his widely mocked eye glasses either. I didn't think they were that bad and Goddess knows in the 40+ years I've been wearing them myself, I've chosen some pretty dorky frames in a fit of madness at the optician.

No what bothered me was Daschle's lobbyist work for the health care industry. He could be a poster boy for the revolving door between K Street and Capitol Hill. While he may be knowledgeable on the issues, the last thing we need right now is a guy who is so cozy with the insurance companies.

Update: Obama says he screwed up. And Robert Reich says Daschle would have been good but, "the public wants change, real change, big change. There's no tolerance any longer for the way things used to be done." He reads that right.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

I like Daschle but he was too late in withdrawing. Bill Richardson id the right thing when he withdrew rather than cause embarassment for President Obama. Tom Daschle should have taken the cue weeks ago.

4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

He never should accepted it in the first place Truth. Not with his lobbyist connections. But you can't change the way DC works in a day.

4:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home