Sunday, June 15, 2008

New on the blogroll

By Libby

Say hello to our latest addition to the blogroll, Marc McDonald at Beggars Can Be Choosers. Marc, an award winning progressive journalist, has a great blog where you can find off the beaten path posts such as this one that flags polling showing a majority of Americans support impeachment of Bush. Which leads me to remind you to contact your Congressmen and ask them to support Kucinich's latest effort to impeach that's been sent to die in committee and while you're at it you might contact your Senators and tell them it's never too late for impeachment.

On a completely different note, I would never have thought to do this, but anyone who thinks rascism is dead in America should read this post.
To see evidence of this, all you've got to do is Google the keywords: Nigger Obama. Google returns an astonishing 744,000 results. What's even more amazing about that number is that many Web hosters specifically forbid hate speech in their terms of service.
I assume some of those hits would be from bloggers who have noted that the big right wing smearers have carefully avoided the word, but their rhetoric makes clear what they mean. Unfortunately, Marc also finds egregious examples where the term is used maliciously.

In any event, we're thrilled and honored to exchange links with Marc. Go check him out.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I expected no less, but then a few bloggers can create a large presence on the web. A Google search might make you believe that a lot of people think Eisenhower was Jewish, for instance.

The latest bit of comical sleaze has it that his high school nickname was O'Bomber and therefore he supports international terrorism.

None of this crap influences people who might vote for him.

10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It's hard to know how to reach Mccain voters. They tend to be low info who simply bought into the straight talk fantasy.

The viral emails are even worse than internet searches in spreading false memes though. I occassionally am so aghast, I feel compelled to send back the snopes debunk. Makes me feel bad when I have to tell a friend they've been taken in by pure bullshit.

12:41:00 PM  
Blogger Marc McDonald said...

Someone could probably write a book just on viral emails alone. I'd bet that many millions of them are sent daily and, taken as a whole, they probably have more influence than many of the top news sites and blogs.

It's been my experience that right-wingers are incredibly aggressive in sending them out.

If I know anyone who is right-wing and they manage to get ahold of my email address, it's a given that they will start including me on their viral email list.

Without exception, they never even bother to ask. And what's even more annoying is that all of these people know damn well that I'd a hard-core progressive.

But that doesn't stop them.

So day after day, I get all the viral email crap ("Obama wants to abolish the military!" etc. etc.).
It may all be crap---but it is enormously influential.

Incidentally, it's also been my experience that if you take the time to conclusively prove to one of these wingnuts that a given viral email story is BS, that doesn't make them question their sources in the least bit.

I recently debunked a right-wing viral email that my wingnut brother-in-law sent me.
Instead of being humbled, or questioning his source, or (God forbid) apologizing, my brother-in-law never blinked or hesitated for a nano-second.

Instead, he simply forwarded me the next BS viral email as though nothing had happened.

2:42:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Yeah Marc, I don't think it does much good to debunk it for the real wingnuts. I've been thinking lately, we should start our own viral emails. We wouldn't have to make anything up. The GOPers provide plenty of true dirt.

9:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home