Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Blog Report shuts down

By Libby

This is a sad day for Blogtopia.
The Blog Report closes its doors: Three years and 12,000 blog posts later, the Blog Report is no more - Regrettably, Salon.com has decided to close down the Blog Report, which I've been editing for more than two years, after inheriting the site from my friend Peter Daou. It's been a pleasure highlighting content from the left, right, and center, from blogs with 15 readers or 150,000 readers, and everyone in between. Thanks to the Blog Report's readers for all the support.
The Blog Report was a fine aggregator of all points of view and Steve Benen was especially kind in linking to us here at The Impolitic many times. The encouragement that kind of link gives a blog of this size can't be overstated.

Both Peter Daou and Steve did a terrific job on this project. There are many posts I would have missed if they hadn't taken the time to do the reading that I didn't time to do. I'm going to miss it, not just for the traffic, but for the fine eye and hard work they put into it.

Update: Oh No. Thanks to commenter Marcab for pointing out that Scott Horton is giving up blogging as well. I'll miss his blog as well, but he'll still be writing longer pieces.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Maybe it's my habitual pessimism, but I get the feeling that the web as a bastion of free speech is a naive concept and that it will far more than government displeasure that makes it just another place to sell stuff. We will be marginalized, I believe; harder to find, slower to access, drowned out and forgotten as time goes on.

11:50:00 AM  
Blogger joel hanes said...

Must be something in the air ... Scott Horton at Harpers is also hanging up his "No Comment" blogging spurs.

12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

Now that Don Siegelman is out of federal prison, my guess is Scott Horton will be more active in the case. I wouldn't read any more into this other than Horton needs more time.

One irony of the Siegelman case, it was started by Republicans during an election year to eliminate a popular Democrat from contention. The dirt about this case will be revealed during an election year (2008), and the backlash will be against those who started it.

Good! I can't wait for the fallout.

3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're wrong, Fogg. As far as The Blog Report and Harper's, it is a shame that so many blogs that SHOULD close down don't, while good ones close. Oh well. It just means the rest of us need to keep on keepin on.

6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg, I hope you're wrong too but there are days when I think you're right. I already see the signs. A media hit here and there on the danger of the unfettered internet. I just saw a headline that asked if teen violence is caused by it.

SC, I love the irony of the timing on the Seigelman case. Hopefully the real dirt will come out in about late Sept when it will do the most good.

Brian, I also hate to see the good ones go.

7:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home