Tuesday, April 22, 2008

At the Movies

by expatbrian

I'm not a big fan of science fiction and I normally don't get too excited about fantasy movies unless they are exceptional like Lord of the Rings and King Kong. But I just watched two of that genre that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Water Horse tells the "real" story of the Loch Ness monster and the boy who raised him. If you liked Free Willie, you will like this one. I give it 4 stars.

The Golden Compass is even better. This movie, which will obviously have a sequel, follows the exploits of a young girl who possesses the last golden compass, a device that only she can read and which tells the reader only the truth. The special effects are great and Lorek the Ice Bear steals the show. 4 1/2 stars.

Also watched -

War with Jet Li was a typically violent drama with lots of action and a nice plot twist. No oscars here but entertaining if there's nothing better to do. 2 1/2 stars.

The Bucket List teams two of Hollywoods best - Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in a heartwarming story of two old men from totally different backgrounds who are dying and decide on a few last flings. The story is so-so but Nicholson is always worth a watch. 3 stars.

Gone Baby Gone was surprisingly good. Directed by Ben Affleck and starring Casey Affleck as a PI investigating the kidnapping of a 4 year old girl. Morgan Freeman is the police chief (jeez, he is in everything these days!) but Affleck is the show stealer here. 4 stars.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger rockync said...

Thanks for the film reviews. I was hoping the Water Horse was a good one since the trailers look interesting. I think I'll watch The Bucket List even though the reviews are ho-hum as I really like Morgan and Jack. And after reading your assessment of the Golden Compass, I may just take that one in,too.

12:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watch alot of movies (download them constantly on the net)and still have a couple hundred I have yet to watch. I'm gonna try to watch the newer ones and do short reviews. I like hard action and adventure but also really quality stuff for younger folks. The Golden Compass is good stuff and is from a book trilogy so it should be followed by two sequels.

I also love a really good scary yarn but the good ones are few and far between these days.

5:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home