Sunday, March 23, 2008

Oh, the humanity

By Libby

The local Humane Society here has a really good website where they feature the abandoned pets up for adoption. I occassionally cruise the site, imaging that I might someday have the kind of life again that would allow for a dog. Everytime I visit, I look at their plea for volunteers and consider doing so but I've been afraid it would tear my heart to know that many of these animals will die without being adopted.

Today, Michael D at Balloon Juice put up a beautiful and moving post about his experience in volunteering at his local animal shelter. It inspired me and gives me some courage to give it try myself. At worst, I could offer some comfort to an innocent creature in its last days and at best I could witness the rescue of at least some of them. I may give it a try.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Swampcracker said...

Libby, this will warm your heart. I have adopted two cats from animal shelters which I have had for many years. Animals feel love. I have experienced this from my cats.

After graduating from college last year, my youngest daughter took up volunteering at an animal shelter. Sometimes it can be heartbreaking because you can't save them all, but the ones you do save will always be with you in some small, but always gratifying way.

11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

If I got another pet, I would adopt from a shelter for sure. I'm glad to hear that people find volunteering a positive experience.

10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home