Friday, December 07, 2007

Waffles the Clown and staying power

By Libby

To call him a friend would be to overstate the relationship, we're not close, but he's more than a mere aquaintance. Josh has been to parties at my home when I lived in lovely downtown Noho and I knew him well enough that when I discovered a forgotten briefcase after the revelers left, I knew immediately it was his, even though there was no ID. How? Who else carries around a rubber chicken?

The spirit of 60s style civil disobedience is alive and well in the Happy Valley, thanks to old hands like Josh Dostis, who never gave up the fight and he's still at it. But this latest public event seems almost pale in comparison to his coup de grace to political demagoguery during the 2004 election season when he campaigned in New Hampshire. The Weekly Standard was there but didn't give him the respect he deserved for that stunt.

A man in a giant penis costume posing as a candidate offers all sorts of phallic campaign promises: He will "reform the penal code," he will "foster intercourse between nations," etc.

Josh is no poseur, he was a serious and his candidacy was validated by the courts.

News Item: New Hampshire court rules that independent presidential candidate Joshua Dostis may campaign dressed as a 6-foot penis under the protection of the First Amendment.

Many call Josh a dick and consider his antics vulgar, but I've always thought his acute sense of humor is a whole lot less obscene than the virtual shafting our political class inflicts on the public on a daily basis.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Libby, I think of you as a friend...point of info I ran for Prez in 2000 not 2004....my my how time flies when you're haveing fun. We all are feeling good about the Big "Y" not action and I love seeing Bill laugh and giggle and know I have found a legal loophole.....take care and keep it up...light and love JJ

8:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home